Clippers Clinch Series and Extend Lead in IL West
The Columbus Clippers used a strong start and a lot of offense to defeat the Louisville Bats, 7-1, in the second of a three-game series tonight at Huntington Park.
With the win, the Clippers clinched the series with back-to-back wins and extended their first-place lead in the IL West to 1.5 games over the Indianapolis Indians.
Adam Rosales stated the scoring early for the Clippers, launching his 18th homerun of the year over the right field wall for a 1-0 lead in the first inning.
The Bats bounced back with a Steve Selsky RBI infield single to tie it against Clippers' starter Ryan Merritt in the second.
It wasn't long before Bobby Bradley gave the Clippers the lead for good with a two-out, two-run double in the fifth to make it 3-1. The next batter, Joe Sever, doubled Bradley home to extend the lead to 4-1.
The Clippers tacked on three more in the sixth on an Oscar Mercado RBI squeeze bunt and a Brandon Branes two-run double to give Merritt all the support he'd need.
Ahead 7-1, Merritt finished his day with a scoreless seventh inning. He finished having allowed just one run on six hits. He struck out nine Bats and didn't walk one in his seven quality frames.
Both teams were kept quiet after then, affording Columbus the victory.
The Clippers and Bats will conclude their series tomorrow at Huntington Park. First pitch is schedule for 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 29, 2018
- Wiel Paces Red Wings' Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Clippers Clinch Series and Extend Lead in IL West - Columbus Clippers
- Bats Fall to Clippers, 7-1 - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Clinch I.L. South Division Behind Meadows' Three Homers - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Wednesday's Game to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Devers Doubles in Pawtucket's 5-3 Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Red Wings to Treat Wednesday's Tickets as Rain Checks - Rochester Red Wings
- King Keeps RailRiders Close, Setting up Walk-off Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Chiefs Fall to RailRiders, 2-1, Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Martin, Osuna Homers Lift Indians Past Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Stewart's Big Day Not Enough for Hens - Toledo Mud Hens
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 29 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Announce Three-Year Extension with 730 the Game ESPN Charlotte - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Host Final Four Games of 2018 Regular Season - Durham Bulls
- Tribe Set Franchise Record for Charitable Jersey Auctions - Indianapolis Indians
- First-Ever Farm-To-Field Set for September 14 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-64) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (69-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Hernan Iribarren Moves into 3rd Place on Louisville's All-Time Hits List - Louisville Bats
- Food Lion Fall Fan Fest at Harbor Park 10 AM to 2 PM Saturday - Norfolk Tides
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Clippers Stories
- Former Clippers Coach Hop Cassady Passes Away
- Bobby Bradley and Eric Haase Named I.L. Postseason All-Stars
- Free Governors' Cup Playoff Tickets Return for 2019 at Huntington Park
- Clipper's Game Suspended
- Bobby Bradley Honored as May International League Player of the Month