Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester
PORTLAND, ME - Although they won the shot battle for the first time this season, the Mariners could only muster one goal on Saturday night in a 4-1 loss to the Worcester Railers at DCU Center in Worcester. The loss dropped them to 0-3-0-0 on the season.
At 16:21 of the opening period, Tyler Barnes took a feed from Nick Bligh and made a dazzling move through the Mariners defense, lifting a backhand past goaltender Brandon Halverson for a 1-0 Worcester lead, and the only goal of the first period.
Mike Cornell doubled the lead at 8:01 of the second when his wrist shot just barely got through Halverson and trickled across the goal line. At 15:56, Jeff Kubiak made it 3-0 when his screen shot got through. The Mariners outshot the Railers 15-11 in the frame but found themselves down by a trio of goals.
The Mariners would finally break through at 4:59 of the third period when Riley Bourbonnais scored his first goal of the season. Terrence Wallin's shot popped up in the air and Bourbonnais buried the rebound before Railers goaltender Mitch Gillam could find it. Gillam made a key save on a Jason Salvaggio breakaway to keep the margin at two before defenseman Ryan MacKinnon restored the three goal lead for Worcester with a sharp angle shot that deflected and beat Connor LaCouvee, who had relieved Halverson at the start of the period. Gillum stopped 33 of 34 to earn his second win. Halverson took the loss.
The Mariners return home for their third game in as many days on Sunday afternoon against the Newfound Growlers at 3:00 PM. It's "scout day" along with a postgame skate with the team for all who purchase a ticket to the game. Skates must be brought and checked in at the C.N. Brown Landing upon entering the gate and all fans under the age of 18 must wear a helmet. Individual tickets can be purchased at MarinersOfMaine.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.