Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center
Worcester, MA - The Worcester Railers HC(2-1-0-0, 4pts) barreled over the visiting Maine Mariners (0-3-0-0, 0pts) by the score of 4-1 in front of 8,853 fans at the Railers 2.0 home opener at the DCU Center on Saturday evening.
Tyler Barnes, Mike Cornell, Jeff Kubiak, and Ryan MacKinnon all scored for Worcester while Mitch Gillam was fantastic in net making 33 saves for his second win of the season and his 8thstraight win on home ice dating back to last season. Nick Bligh added two assists as the Railers charged out to a 3-0 lead midway through the second period and never looked back.
The Railers grabbed the only goal in a fast paced first period as Tyler Barnes (1st) undressed a Maine defender and ripped a backhander from on top of the crease past netminder Brandon Halverson at 16:21 to give the Railers a 1-0 lead. Mitch Gillam made 11 first period saves as the Railers took a one goal advantage into the first intermission.
Mike Cornell (1st) fired a puck that fought through the Maine goaltender and just trickled past the goal line at 8:01 to give Worcester a 2-0 lead. The Railers went ahead 3-0 as Jeff Kubiak (1st) snapped a shot through a Josh Holmstrom screen at 15:56 from 35 feet assisted by Woody Hudson and Kyle McKenzie. Shots were 23-21 in favor of the Mariners through 40 minutes of play.
Maine finally got on the board as Riley Bourbonnais (1st) banged home a loose rebound at 4:49 past Mitch Gillam for the only Pirates goal. With Connor LaCouvee in net in relief for the Mariners, defenseman Ryan MacKinnon (1st) sent a quick shot on the rush that was deflected into the net at 9:51 to give Worcester the 4-1 edge. Mitch Gillam would stand strong the rest of the way as the Railers cruised to the 4-1 home victory.
Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star Nick Bligh (0-2-2) 2nd star: Mitch Gillam (33 saves, Win) 1st star: Tyler Barnes (1-1-2)....Final shots were 34-33 in favor of Maine... Brandon Halverson (0-2-0-0) made 19 saves on 22 shots for Maine in the first two periods while Connor LaCouvee made 10 saves on 11 shots in the third....Mitch Gillam (2-1-0-0) made 33 saves on 34 shots for Worcester with Evan Buitenhuis as the backup......Worcester went 0-for-2 on the power play while Maine went 0-for-3.... Tommy Kelley (inj), Ivan Kosorenkov (immigration), Connor Doherty, Bryan Arneson, Alex Vanier, and Tommy Tsicos did not dress for Worcester.... Tommy Panico made his season debut for the Railers after missing the first two games of the season due to injury...the QUICK CHANGE Magic Act as seen on America's Got Talent performed during the first intermission....the game featured a ceremonial puck drop between the two starting goalies to shine light on the October Saves fundraiser....Kyle McKenzie, Tyler Barnes, Nik Sorkin, David Quenneville and Woody Hudson all added assists.... The Railers are now 16-3-1 in their last 20 regular season home games....Mitch Gillam has won eight straight regular season games at the DCU.
What's on tap? - HITTING THE ROAD
The Railers hit the road for three straight games beginning on Wednesday, Oct 24 with a 7pm start in Glens Falls, NY vs. the Adirondack Thunder.
The Railers return home on Friday, Nov 2 vs. the Adirondack Thunder on a 2-3-4 Friday! Enjoy $2 hot dogs, $3 sodas, and $4 Bud Lights in the Bud Light Lounge. The Railers will host GUNS N HOSES NIGHT on Saturday, Nov 3 with a special appearance by Ray Bourque presented by Berkshire Bank! Tickets as low as $15!
The Railers Tavern, located behind the DCU Center provides hockey fans with a great pregame and postgame atmosphere all season long. Watch all road games broadcast live at Nonna's (FRI, SAT, SUN) or Railers Tavern (MON-THU) or watch on ECHLTV.com for a small fee. Listen to all Railers games live on 98.9 Nash ICONwith coverage beginning 30 minutes before puck drop with Eric Lindquistand Tom Matthews. Full season memberships, mini plans, and group tickets are on sale now by calling the Railers front office at 508-365-1750or by visiting www.RailersHC.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in 6-2 Road Win in Allen
- Railers Cough up Three Goal Third Period Lead and Fall 5-4 in Overtime in Maine
- Railers Battle Back But Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Visiting Cyclones
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling
- Three Third Period Power Play Goals Pace Railers to 3-2 Comeback Win over Greenville