Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win
The Atlanta Gladiators took the ice for the first time on home ice at the Infinite Energy Arena as they played host to division rival, the Greenville Swamp Rabbits. A strong second period where the Gladiators notched four goals was too much for visitors as Atlanta was victorious in their home-opener on Friday night.
After a scoreless first period, the Gladiators notched their first tally of the evening on the power play at the 4:39 mark of the second period. Two Nashville Predators prospects, Zach Magwood and Carl Persson, earned their first points as Gladiators and they teamed up to find Olivier Galipeau open in the slot. The Quebec native then ripped a snap shot over the shoulder of Greenville goalie, Garrett Bartus for his second tally in as many games.
Atlanta increased the lead to two with a shorthanded goal 6:40 into the middle session. Justin MacDonald striped the Greenville defender of the puck and advanced down the ice all alone on a breakaway. The Newmarket, ON native slid a backhand shot five-hole for his first goal as a Gladiator and the unassisted shorthanded mark.
An even strength tally 11:02 into the second period pushed Atlanta's lead to 3-0. Derek Nesbitt skated around the back of the Swamp Rabbit net looking for an opening. He eventually found Jesse Gabrielle streaking towards the front of the net where the Boston Bruins prospect then slammed a shot over the shoulder of Bartus for his first goal with Atlanta. Ben Danford earned the secondary assist on the third Glads' tally.
The visitors got back to within two goals with a notch early in the third period. Chris Izmirlian fed Dylan Vander Esch skating into the Atlanta zone. The rookie forward sent a shot over the shoulder of Gladiators goalie, Miroslav Svoboda for his first professional goal.
The Gladiators re-gained their three-goal advantage with exactly 8:00 minutes left in the contest. Branden Troock sped into his offensive third down the wing. The Edmonton, AB native saw an opening over the right shoulder of Bartus and labeled a wrist shot into the top corner of the net for his first goal on the campaign. Brett McKenzie and Galipeau received credit for the helpers on the play.
Atlanta would hold on for the 4-1 victory as the final horn sounded. With the home-opening win, the Glads moved into first place in the South Division with a 2-0-0-0 record and four points. Greenville's lost marked their first defeat in regulation time and dropped their record to 1-1-1-0 with three points thus far.
Up next, Atlanta will host the Orlando Solar Bears for a Saturday night showdown at the Infinite Energy Arena. The South Division duel is scheduled for a 7:35pm puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Jerry James Promoted to Team President
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow
- Bonar Steals Crucial Point for Atlanta with Miraculous Performance in Net