Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling
Cincinnati, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones (2-1-0-0) took down the Wheeling Nailers, 4-1, on Saturday night. Forwards Jordan Sims, Justin Vaive, and Spencer Dorowicz, along with defenseman Eric Knodel netted the goals for Cincinnati.
After the Nailers took a 1-0 lead on a goal from forward Zac Lynch 3:24 into the opening period, Cincinnati pulled even midway through the frame when a shot by forward Vas Glotov was tipped in by Sims to pull the Cyclones level, 1-1.
Cincinnati took the lead roughly four minutes later while on the power play, when forward Jesse Schultz sent a pass from the right circle that was redirected in front by Vaive to put the 'Clones ahead, 2-1, through 20 minutes.
The 2-1 score held up throughout the remainder of the second, and in the third Cincinnati's penalty kill came to life when a shot from forward Nate Mitton as turned aside by Wheeling goaltender Matt O'Connor, but Dorowicz was there to slam in the rebound to extend Cincinnati's lead to 3-1, 59 seconds into the third period.
The Cyclones put the game out of reach for good at the 6:33 mark of the frame with their second power play tally of the evening when Schultz slid a pass across to Knodel at the line and he launched a slapshot in to put the Cyclones on top, 4-1.
The Cyclones were outshot on the evening, 34-25, with goaltender Michael Houser stopping 33 in the win. Cincinnati returns home of Wednesday night to take on the Toledo Walleye. Face-off is slated for 7:35pm ET.
The 2018-19 season is HERE, and the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride!Single game, Group, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Cyclones Stories
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 5 vs. Kalamazoo
- Cyclones Come Back in Special Teams-Fueled Win
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 4 vs. Kalamazoo
- Cyclones Offense Back on Track with Game 3 Win
- Cyclones Game Preview: Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 3 vs. Kalamazoo