Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime
The Idaho Steelheads took their first lead of the game in overtime after Joe Pendenza scored on a breakaway to give Idaho a 6-5 win over the Utah Grizzlies on Friday night at CenturyLink Arena.
Brendan Harms gave Utah a 1-0 lead as he scored 7:44 into the contest. Idaho's Spencer Naas tied the game up less than 2 minutes later with his 2nd goal of the season. Josh Winquist capitalized on the power play 12:09 into the first period to make it a 2-1 Grizzlies lead. Winquist has 3 goals and 3 assists in 3 games with Utah, ending the game with 1 goal and 1 assist on the night.
Utah outshot Idaho 17-6 in the first period.
Ryan Walters scored the only goal of the 2nd period, making it a 3-1 lead, which is the score going into the locker room for 2nd intermission.
Idaho quickly scored a shorthanded goal 31 seconds into the period as Kyle Schempp made it a 3-2 Utah lead. Less than a minute later, Steve McParland tied up the game with a goal in the slot.
Utah re-took the lead on a Cole Ully goal 2:55 into the 3rd period. Idaho tied up the game late in the 3rd period as Brady Norrish scored with 3:59 left in the 3rd. Caleb Herbert gave Utah the lead again in this seesaw battle with 3:18 left in regulation.
Idaho pulled their goaltender, Ryan Faragher for an extra skater and scored with 43 seconds left as Brad McClure tied up the game at 5-5.
The game went to overtime, where Joe Pendenza stole the puck and drove it the length of the ice and past goaltender Joe Cannata for the game winner in the Steelheads home opener.
Saturday night is the second game of the 2 game series at CenturyLink Arena. 7:00 pm face-off. Utah is now 2-0-1 on the season. Idaho goes to 2-1-1.
Grizzlies notes: Idaho scored 5 goals after the second intermission. 5 different Grizzlies skaters scored a goal. Utah had 5 shots on goal in the first minute of the game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.