Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season
RAPID CITY, S.D. - The Kansas City Mavericks play their first road game of the season tonight as they begin a weekend set against the Rapid City Rush at 8:05 p.m. CT.
The Matchup: Mavericks (1-0-0-0) at Rush (0-2-0-0)
Venue: Rushmore Plaza Civic Center | Rapid City, S.D.
Series History: Mavericks trail by an all-time record of 19-22-2-3
Tune In: Listen along to Bob Rennison's play-by-play call via the Mavericks' free mobile app or at KCMavericks.com. A stream of the game is available via the subscription service, ECHL.TV.
On The Road Again: The Mavericks are coming off a 2017-18 season in which the team took exactly half of the possible road points for the year, finishing 16-16-4-0 in road games. KC did not play at Rapid City last season.
Comeback Kids: Forwards Rocco Carzo and Justin Breton each had their 2017-18 seasons cut short due to season-ending lower body injuries. The duo each lit the lamp in the Mavs' season opener last Friday against the Allen Americans, Carzo striking just over three minutes into the game and Breton sneaking one past C.J. Motte during the second period.
Off The Schneids: Nick Schneider's pro debut was nearly perfect as the Leduc, Alberta native turned away 20 of 21 shots faced in a 5-1 rout of Allen. The Flames prospect completed his junior career last while playing in a remarkable 61 games between the pipes for the WHL's Calgary Hitmen.
Beating The Rush: Despite a down season for Rapid City in 2017-18 the Mavs had a tough time beating the Rush, going 1-2 against Rapid City last year with all three contests coming at home for Kansas City. The Mavericks won the last contest in South Dakota, though, a 3-1 win on Jan. 9, 2016 during KC's Brabham Cup-winning season.
Coop Coming Back: Mark Cooper will make his first return trip to Rapid City since signing with the Mavericks prior to the 2017-18 season. The forward was near the top of the Rush scoring list in his rookie campaign in 2016-17 before leading KC last year en route to Team MVP honors.
Who to Watch: Jared VanWormer. Last year's ECHL power play goal leader already has one to his tab this season, and Rapid City has struggled early on the penalty kill as it enters today's game with a PK percentage of just 61.5, giving up five goals in 13 opportunities in the team's first two games of the season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.