Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3
MANCHESTER, N.H. -The Manchester Monarchs won their first home game of the 2018-19 season, 4-3, against the Reading Royals on Saturday night at SNHU arena.
The Monarchs (2-1-0-1) and the Royals (2-2-1-0) played to a 3-3 tie after regulation, before the Monarchs came out on top after three rounds of shootout.
The Monarchs opened the scoring at 13:03 of the first period, when Austin Strand scored his first goal of the season. Matt Marcinew sent a cross-ice pass to Nick Moutrey at the top of the zone, where Moutrey passed the puck to Strand at the hashmarks, where he sent a snapshot into the top shelf over Royals goaltender, Branden Komm, making the score, 1-0.
The Royals answered by scoring at 16:45 of the first period, making the score 1-1, when Dan Milan received the puck at the point and wristed a shot off the shin of Monarchs forward Nic Pierog, that found room over the shoulder of Monarchs goaltender, Charles Williams.
The Monarchs retaliated quickly at 17:30 of the first, when Stepan Falkovsky scored his first goal of the season. The puck was sent into the slot, where Falkovsky snuck a wrist shot past Komm, increasing the Monarchs lead to 2-1.
The Royals knotted things up at 18:16 of the first, on a shot deflected by Steven Swavely, notching his third goal of the season, as the puck found it's way through Williams' pads, to tie the game, 2-2.
The Royals scored the only goal of the second period at 10:59, when Frank Hora scored his second goal of the season. After a scramble in front of the net, Steven Swavely slid a pass to the slot, where Hora snuck it past Williams' blocker, giving the Royals a 3-2 lead.
At 15:42 of the third period, the Monarchs tied the game on Tony Cameranesi's third goal of the season. After a scramble in front of the Komm, Cameranesi went hard to the net and pushed home a rebound, to make the score, 3-3.
After a scoreless overtime period, Gasper Kopitar scored the only goal in a three-round shootout, beating Komm on the blocker side, resulting in a 4-3 Monarchs win.
The Monarchs return to action Wednesday, October 24 at 7:00 p.m., in Portland, M.E. against the Maine Mariners. For tickets, Season Memberships and group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.