Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3
MANCHESTER, N.H. -The Manchester Monarchs won their first home game of the 2018-19 season, 4-3, against the Reading Royals on Saturday night at SNHU arena.
The Monarchs (2-1-0-1) and the Royals (2-2-1-0) played to a 3-3 tie after regulation, before the Monarchs came out on top after three rounds of shootout.
The Monarchs opened the scoring at 13:03 of the first period, when Austin Strand scored his first goal of the season. Matt Marcinew sent a cross-ice pass to Nick Moutrey at the top of the zone, where Moutrey passed the puck to Strand at the hashmarks, where he sent a snapshot into the top shelf over Royals goaltender, Branden Komm, making the score, 1-0.
The Royals answered by scoring at 16:45 of the first period, making the score 1-1, when Dan Milan received the puck at the point and wristed a shot off the shin of Monarchs forward Nic Pierog, that found room over the shoulder of Monarchs goaltender, Charles Williams.
The Monarchs retaliated quickly at 17:30 of the first, when Stepan Falkovsky scored his first goal of the season. The puck was sent into the slot, where Falkovsky snuck a wrist shot past Komm, increasing the Monarchs lead to 2-1.
The Royals knotted things up at 18:16 of the first, on a shot deflected by Steven Swavely, notching his third goal of the season, as the puck found it's way through Williams' pads, to tie the game, 2-2.
The Royals scored the only goal of the second period at 10:59, when Frank Hora scored his second goal of the season. After a scramble in front of the net, Steven Swavely slid a pass to the slot, where Hora snuck it past Williams' blocker, giving the Royals a 3-2 lead.
At 15:42 of the third period, the Monarchs tied the game on Tony Cameranesi's third goal of the season. After a scramble in front of the Komm, Cameranesi went hard to the net and pushed home a rebound, to make the score, 3-3.
After a scoreless overtime period, Gasper Kopitar scored the only goal in a three-round shootout, beating Komm on the blocker side, resulting in a 4-3 Monarchs win.
The Monarchs return to action Wednesday, October 24 at 7:00 p.m., in Portland, M.E. against the Maine Mariners. For tickets, Season Memberships and group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manchester Monarchs Stories
- Manchester Monarchs Care Foundation Donates $7,500 to Elliot Hospital
- Monarchs Rack up Seven Goals on Railers in 7-4 Win
- Railers Gain Two Points on the Monarchs in 5-2 Victory
- Monarchs Care Foundation Donates $5,000 to CMC Breast Care Center
- Monarchs Comeback against Admirals with 3-2 Overtime Victory