Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (2--1-1) erased four deficits and pressed to a thrilling 6-5 overtime win over the Utah Grizzlies (2-0-1) on Friday night at CenturyLink Arena.
Grizzlies forward Brendan Harms opened the scoring at 7:44 of the first period on a deflection to take an initial 1-0 lead. Steelheads forward Spencer Naas answered back, 1-1, at 9:07 with a swinging shot between the hashes out of mid-air, which was one of the few highlight reel goals for the home side. The Grizzlies pushed back ahead on the power play at 12:09 with a tally from forward Josh Winquist to take a 2-1 lead.
Another power play goal for the Grizzlies, this time for forward Ryan Walters at 12:12 of the second period, doubled the lead to its largest of the night, 3-1. However, momentum favored the Steelheads for a majority of the period, leading to an explosion of scoring.
The Steelheads scored two goals in the first 75 seconds of the third period starting at 0:31 with a patient pass from forward Connor Chatham to forward Kyle Schempp while shorthanded followed by a backhanded shot from forward Steve McParland at 1:15, erasing the deficit, 3-3. Both sides went back and forth, and Grizzlies forward Cole Ully answered at 2:58 to open the lead to 4-3. Steelheads defenseman Brady Norrish leveled the score, 4-4, at 16:01 on the power play off a faceoff. Grizzlies forward Caleb Herbert gave Utah a 5-4 lead at 16:42, but Steelheads forward Brad McClure notched the game-tying goal at 19:17 with the extra attacker on the ice to send the game to overtime, 5-5.
In overtime, Steelheads forward Joe Pendenza created a breakaway at 0:43, and with his goal the Steelheads edged ahead with a 6-5 overtime win. Steelheads goaltender Ryan Faragher (1-1-0) halted 21 of 26 shots in the win, while Grizzlies netminder Joe Cannata (2-0-1) stopped 25 of 31 shots in the overtime loss.
The Steelheads finish the weekend against the Grizzlies on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-TIXS or going to www.IdahoSteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350-AM KTIK and ECHL TV as well as at 7:00 p.m. on CableOne Channel 72.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Chase Stewart Agrees to Terms with Steelheads
- Goaltender Matt Jurusik Joins Steelheads
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Forward Calder Brooks and Defenseman Darren Brady Join Steelheads
- Idaho Central Arena: New Name, New Updates Coming to Downtown Boise