Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (2--1-1) erased four deficits and pressed to a thrilling 6-5 overtime win over the Utah Grizzlies (2-0-1) on Friday night at CenturyLink Arena.
Grizzlies forward Brendan Harms opened the scoring at 7:44 of the first period on a deflection to take an initial 1-0 lead. Steelheads forward Spencer Naas answered back, 1-1, at 9:07 with a swinging shot between the hashes out of mid-air, which was one of the few highlight reel goals for the home side. The Grizzlies pushed back ahead on the power play at 12:09 with a tally from forward Josh Winquist to take a 2-1 lead.
Another power play goal for the Grizzlies, this time for forward Ryan Walters at 12:12 of the second period, doubled the lead to its largest of the night, 3-1. However, momentum favored the Steelheads for a majority of the period, leading to an explosion of scoring.
The Steelheads scored two goals in the first 75 seconds of the third period starting at 0:31 with a patient pass from forward Connor Chatham to forward Kyle Schempp while shorthanded followed by a backhanded shot from forward Steve McParland at 1:15, erasing the deficit, 3-3. Both sides went back and forth, and Grizzlies forward Cole Ully answered at 2:58 to open the lead to 4-3. Steelheads defenseman Brady Norrish leveled the score, 4-4, at 16:01 on the power play off a faceoff. Grizzlies forward Caleb Herbert gave Utah a 5-4 lead at 16:42, but Steelheads forward Brad McClure notched the game-tying goal at 19:17 with the extra attacker on the ice to send the game to overtime, 5-5.
In overtime, Steelheads forward Joe Pendenza created a breakaway at 0:43, and with his goal the Steelheads edged ahead with a 6-5 overtime win. Steelheads goaltender Ryan Faragher (1-1-0) halted 21 of 26 shots in the win, while Grizzlies netminder Joe Cannata (2-0-1) stopped 25 of 31 shots in the overtime loss.
The Steelheads finish the weekend against the Grizzlies on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-TIXS or going to www.IdahoSteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350-AM KTIK and ECHL TV as well as at 7:00 p.m. on CableOne Channel 72.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.