Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3
Reading, PA - Reading Royals netminder Branden Komm made 30 saves and helped the Royals get to the shootout, but Manchester Monarchs forward Gasper Kopitar netted the skills-competition winner in the second round, providing the Monarchs a 4-3 win Saturday at SNHU Arena. Kopitar registered the shootout's only goal.
The Royals are 2-0-1-1 through the first four games and tied for first in the North Division with six points. Reading begins a three-game homestand Wednesday at Santander Arena.
Captain Nick Luukko scored with nine minutes remaining in the second, giving Reading a 3-2 edge. Luukko has scored in consecutive games and tallied on a shot from the slot. Steven Swavely (1g, 1a) assisted. Dan Milan (1g, 1a) registered his second career ECHL multi-point game.
Tony Cameranesi evened the score at three with 4:18 left in the third, running his skates into the crease at the right post and sliding it across the line while making contact with Komm.
The game marked the first matchup between the clubs since the 2018 Kelly Cup Playoffs. The teams match nine times this regular season.
Charles Williams denied 29 shots in victory and blocked Josh MacDonald in the third round to secure victory.
The Royals host Newfoundland Wed., Oct. 24 at 7:00 p.m. and start a three-game home stand.
The Royals and Monarchs exchanged goals in the first and the game was even, 2-2, after one. Milan and Swavely potted for the Royals.
At 13:03 of the first, Austin Strand bombed a right-point slap shot over Komm's shoulder to provide Manchester with the opening goal. The Royals evened the game four minutes later; Michael Huntebrinker broke the right-wing blue line and tossed it left point for Milan. The seventh-year professional smacked it off a shin and it fumbled into the net. Milan scored a professional-best five goals last season for Wheeling. Chris McCarthy earned the secondary assist.
With 2:30 left in the first, Stepan Falkovsky scored over Komm's glove on a shot from the right slot and Manchester led, 2-1. Swavely answered 45 seconds later; Milan shot from the left point immediately after Swavely won a face-off to him. Milan's shot ricocheted off Swavely and in at the left post. The teams combined for three goals in the final 3:15 of the first.
Luukko jolted Reading ahead, 3-2, with 9:01 left in the second. Standing mid-slot, Swavely squirted the puck to the Royals Captain. He aimed and fired it over Williams' glove hand. Adam Schmidt received the secondary helper and has five points this season.
Komm denied 11 shots in the third and two in overtime. He stopped two of three shots in the third. The Monarchs out shot the Royals, 34-32. Reading was 0-for-2 on the power play and Manchester was 0-for-1.
Postgame autographs, pres. by Rieck's Printing vs. Newfoundland: Oct. 24, 7:00 p.m.
Two players sign postgame autographs, pres. by Rieck's Printing | first-ever meeting between Reading and Newfoundland.
Star Wars Night vs. Wheeling: Oct. 27, 7:00 p.m.
Specialty Star Wars jerseys | dress as your favorite Star Wars character | first matchup against Wheeling
Halloween Night vs. Wheeling: Oct. 28, 7:00 p.m.
Specialty Halloween jerseys | concourse trick-or-treat
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- F Chris McCarthy Signs PTO with Hershey Bears
- Season-Ending 18 Skinny Stats for 18 Seasons
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt