Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk
ESTERO, Fla. - Steven Lorentz posted a career-high five-point game, Joe Cox tallied a pair of goals, and Jamie Phillips made 23 saves to lead the Florida Everblades to a 6-1 victory over the Norfolk Admirals on Saturday night at Hertz Arena.
On the heels of a 1-0 loss on Friday, Florida (2-2-0-0, 4 PTS) bounced back in a big way in the series finale as five different players registered a goal to earn the series split with Norfolk (2-1-0-0, 4 PTS).
The line of Cox, Lorentz, and John McCarron was huge for the 'Blades in the victory, accounting for four of the six goals. Cox and Lorentz were particularly strong for Florida, combing for eight points on three goals and five assists.
Florida struck for its first home goal of the season on an odd-man rush. Entering the zone with a 3-on-1, John McCarron sent a pass to the slot to Steven Lorentz who then sent it to the opposite wing to Joe Cox before he whipped it back to McCarron on the door step for the easy tap in at the 7:50 mark of the first period.
Nathan Perkovich doubled the 'Blades' lead with 38 seconds to play in the first period, his first goal with Florida and the eventual game-winning score. Perkovich received a behind-the-back pass from Logan Roe before shifting to the top of the blue line and shooting through a sea of players straight past Norfolk goaltender Ty Reichenbach.
Florida scored three more times in the second period to stretch its lead to 5-1. Kyle Platzer made the lead 3-0 with four minutes, 19 seconds gone in the second. From the right corner of the offensive zone, Justin Auger sent a perfect backhand pass to the slot to Platzer. He delayed for a second before firing it though Reichenbach's five-hole.
The Admirals trimmed the lead to two on a power-play goal by Ben Duffy at 6:19 of the middle period, but that was as close as they got the rest of the way.
Following a successful penalty kill halfway through the second frame, Cox escaped on a breakaway as the 'Blades came back to full strength. He tucked a forehand shot five-hole on Reichenbach on the ensuing breakaway to boost the lead to 4-1.
Lorentz then made it a 5-1 lead only 1:35 later, wiring a wrist shot from the left circle above the glove hand of Reichenbach.
Cox redirected Derek Sheppard's initial shot three minutes, 55 seconds into the third period for his second of the night for the final margin of victory.
Reichenbach finished with 26 saves in the loss, while Phillips backstopped the 'Blades in their stingiest defensive effort of the season.
Florida plays a home-and-home series next weekend against the Orlando Solar Bears, traveling to Orlando for a 7 p.m. matchup on Friday before returning home on Saturday for a 7 p.m. tilt at Hertz Arena.
Individual game tickets for all regular season games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Full Season, Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! Ask about the payment plan options too!
Images from this story
Florida Everblades forward Steven Lorentz handles the puck against the Norfolk Admirals
(Kevin Bires Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester
- 'Blades Reign Supreme over Monarchs in 6-3 Win
- Matt Finn Loaned to AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack
- Everblades Host Manchester in Just Sixth All-Time Matchup