Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators
WHO: Orlando Solar Bears at Atlanta Gladiators
VENUE: Infinite Energy Arena, Duluth, Ga.
DATE: Saturday, Oct. 20 at 7:35 p.m.
LISTEN: OSB Radio via Mixlr
TONIGHT: The Orlando Solar Bears (1-3-0-0) complete a two-game road trip with an evening clash against the Atlanta Gladiators (2-0-0-0). It's the second meeting in a week between the two clubs, as Orlando faced Atlanta in its home opener last Saturday. The Solar Bears will play the Gladiators at Infinite Energy Arena five total times this season, with the next meeting slated for Friday, Dec. 7.
FEJES CONTINUES STRONG START: Forward Hunter Fejes scored a goal in Friday night's game at Jacksonville, bringing his team-leading point total to five (3g-2a) through four games. The third-year pro has recorded at least a point in each game the Solar Bears have played this season.
DISCIPLINE WILL BE KEY: Although both teams have played in a limited number of games, the Solar Bears will need to stay out of the penalty box to be effective against the Gladiators, who have scored on a third of their chances with the power play. Orlando has managed three goals on 20 chances (15%) with the man advantage, but the Gladiators penalty kill has yet to surrender a goal through their first two games.
BOUTET BACK: Defenseman Etienne Boutet is expected to make his return to the lineup for Orlando tonight, fresh off serving a one-game suspension. The blueliner netted his first goal of the season in Monday's win over South Carolina, and will be paired tonight with Cody Donaghey, who has recorded an even or positive plus-minus rating in three of Orlando's four games.
TRICKLE-DOWN EFFECT HITS GLADIATORS GOALIES: An injury to Nashville Predators goaltender Pekka Rinne has resulted in Miroslav Svoboda getting the call-up to the NHL. Atlanta's netminding duties now fall on Sean Bonar and Ian Sylves, goaltenders with more experience in the lower-level SPHL.
TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT: Orlando can test Atlanta's 2-0-0-0 record when outshooting its opponents by putting more pucks on net. Orlando is averaging 33.25 shots on goal per game through four games, slightly behind its mark of 38.50 per game at the same point last season.
BEREHOWSKY CLOSING IN ON CENTURY MARK: With 93 career wins behind the bench of the Solar Bears, Drake Berehowsky is already the winningest head coach in the team's ECHL tenure. He is only seven wins away from joining former IHL Solar Bears bench boss Curt Fraser as the second head coach of a professional hockey team in Orlando to reach the century mark in coaching wins.
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears return home for a showdown with the Florida Everblades as part of Boo with the Bears, presented by Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic, on Friday, Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. The Solar Bears will wear specialty skeleton jerseys, while fans can enjoy trick-or-treating on the Amway Center concourse, participate in a costume contest and more. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2018
- Quentin Shore's Overtime Goal Lifts Indy to Weekend Sweep - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Beat the Rush, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Propels Wings to Weekend Sweep - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades' Offense Erupts in 6-1 Win over Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays' Power Play Defeats Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Close Weekend with Loss to Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Drop 7-Spot on Greenville in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Offense Struggles in Road Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack's Late Charge Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Dazzle in Home Opener in Front of 8,853 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Special Teams Key in Win over Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Defeat Royals in Shootout, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Triumph over Royals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Elgin Pearce Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stockton Heat Return Watson from Loan to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Svoboda Summoned by NHL's Predators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder, Americans Round Three Tonight in Texas - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Open Road Trip with Loss to IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Everblades Host Admirals, Aim for Series Split - Florida Everblades
- Moy to Milwaukee and Messner to Providence, New Goalie Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Wings Look to Spoil Komets Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Rush in First Road Game of 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game 4 Preview: Reading at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Get a Point in a Shootout Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Knocks off Allen in High Scoring Affair - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Overtime Thriller over Grizzlies, 6-5 - Idaho Steelheads
- Strong Second Period Pushes Glads to 4-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Spoil Everblades Home Opener with 1-0 Win - Florida Everblades
- Madsen's Shutout Guides Admirals to 1-0 Victory over Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- PHPA and ECHL Announce COVID-19 Relief Fund for ECHL Players
- Clint Windsor Signed by Syracuse Crunch
- Orlando Solar Bears Statement on Cancellation of 2019-20 ECHL Season
- Orlando Solar Bears Statement on ECHL Suspending Season
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Stingrays