LumberKings Take Series with 6-5 Win
GENEVA, IL - The Clinton LumberKings came from behind to take a four-game series with the Kane County Cougars behind a 6-5 win on Tuesday night at Northwestern Medicine Field. Jake Walters earned the win for Clinton (34-23, 67-59) who held on to beat the Cougars (36-21, 70-56) to move to two games back and now own the tie breaker.
Four errors by Kane County was one of the decisive factors in a sea-saw affair. In the top of the first, Christopher Torres reached on the first error of the night and eventually scored on a bases loaded walk by Kameron Misner. Two batters later Evan Edwards singled through the left side of the infield for a quick 2-0 LumberKings lead.
In the bottom of the first, the Cougars tied the game with a Zack Shannon two-run double to center field - the first of two leads surrendered by Walters (5-4).
Clinton then retook the lead in the second on a Bubba Hollins sacrifice fly to center field but had the lead disappear again in the bottom of the inning with another two-run Cougars hit - a Kristian Robinson two run homer.
Walters allowed no more following the second inning and earned his fifth win of the year when the LumberKings came from behind to take the lead for good in the fourth. He worked six innings allowing four runs, three earned, on four hits and walking none with striking out six.
Peyton Burdick, who had missed the previous four games, had the big hit of the night with a two-run single up the middle that turned Clinton's one run deficit into a one run lead, 5-4.
The run was enough to hang Adrian Del Moral (2-3) with the loss. He turned in 3.1 innings of work allowing five runs, three earned, on seven hits while walking one and striking out two.
The score remained unchanged until the top of the eighth when Clinton added an insurance run in one of the more unorthodox manners. With Peyton Burdick at second base following a Kameron Misner single, Cougars pitcher Brayan Menendez tossed the ball into the dugout voluntarily without time being called out. The umpires called it a live ball and two base throwing error - scoring Burdick from second.
In the bottom of the ninth Manuel Rodriguez preserved the lead to earn his second save of the year. He allowed a two out home run to Joey Rose that pulled Kane County to within one. On the very next pitch, Rodriguez retired KeShawn Lynch on a deep flyout to center field that was one foot short of the wall.
The win shrinks the LumberKings magic number to clinch a playoff spot six and moves them to within two games first place in the Western Division.
The LumberKings will now return home to Clinton to open a seven-game homestand with the first game of a three-game series against the Cedar Rapids Kernels on
Wednesday night. Clinton will throw righty Josh Roberson (1-4, 3.29) while Cedar Rapids will tap righty Luis Rijo (5-7, 2.63). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
Clinton returns home to open a homestand on Wednesday night with the first game of a three-game series with the Cedar Rapids Kernels. Arrive early for the final baseball card strip giveaway of the season courtesy of Mediacom and Clinton National Bank.
All night long, fans 21 years and older, can take part in "Retro Beer Night." Visit the first base beer stand for $2 select beers - sold all game long.
See Clinton County Republicans for a special offer on tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Whitecaps Drop Homestand Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Finish Homestand with Impressive 9-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cubs Earn Massive Series Win against Loons in 4-3 Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series with 6-5 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Lose by a Foot - Kane County Cougars
- Lingos Out-Duels Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Loons Drop Finale to Cubs - Great Lakes Loons
- Cruz Tosses Another Brilliant Start for 'Caps - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Defeat Kernels in Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Fall 7-2 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Lazar Strikes Out Ten in 7-2 Win at Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 5-Run First Proves Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 20 vs. Bowling Green (Game 125) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lopez's Hitting Streak Ends in 7-2 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Collect Hits in Every Inning, Top Lansing 7-2 to Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 21-23 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Host Dayton Area Police Night at Fifth Third Field on August 22 - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Community Field to Host 20th Annual Oktoberfest - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Return Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons to Recognize Dayton Power and Light as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- Catcher Danner Returns to Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps "Cruzâ? to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- LumberKings to Host Blood Drive at NelsonCorp Field
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th