Lazar Strikes Out Ten in 7-2 Win at Peoria
PEORIA, IL - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers needed a win on Tuesday night against the Peoria Chiefs at Dozer Park to stay in the second half playoff chase. They got a 7-2 win over the Chiefs and they also got an impressive performance from starting pitcher Max Lazar.
Wisconsin (62-62 overall, 31-26 second half) took the lead with two runs in the top of the fourth inning. Thomas Dillard drew a walk with one out and Je'Von Ward doubled with two outs. Pablo Abreu dropped a broken-bat single into right field to score both runners.
The Rattlers blew the game open with a five-run fifth inning. Antonio Piñero started the rally with a lead-off single. Korry Howell followed with a single. A wild pitch by Peoria starter Colin Schmid moved both runners into scoring position. Connor McVey got the first run of the inning home with a bunt single. Dillard followed with an RBI double. Schmid walked David Fry to load the bases and turned the game over to the bullpen.
Ward greeted reliever Connor Coward with a double off the wall in right-center to score two more runs. Abreu plated the final run of the inning with a sacrifice fly for a 7-0 lead.
The Chiefs (47-79, 17-40) got on the scoreboard in the sixth inning Lazar. Brady Whalen singled with one out. Brendan Donovan was next and his single to center allowed Whalen to take third base. Imeldo Diaz drove in Whalen with a sacrifice fly for a 7-1 lead.
That was the only run that Lazar allowed in the game as he moves his personal record to 7-2. The right-hander set new single-game highs as a professional for innings pitched and strikeouts. Lazar gave up six hits, walked none, and struck out ten over his seven innings before turning the game over to the bullpen.
Peoria got an unearned run off Wilfred Salaman in the bottom of the eighth inning. A walk and an error put runners on the corners. Diaz followed with an infield single to drive in his second run of the night. Salaman stopped the rally in its tracks by getting Carlos Soto to line into a double play.
Logan Gillaspie closed out the game with a scoreless ninth.
The Timber Rattlers return home to face the Burlington Bees in the first game of a three-game series on Wednesday night at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. Luis Contreras (1-2, 2.70) is the scheduled starting pitcher for Wisconsin. Burlington has named Clayton Chatham (2-2, 3.07) as their starting pitcher. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm.
Representatives from Verve Credit Union will be on hand to commit random acts of kindness for the fans before the game.
The MiLB CommUNITY Initiative presented by Allegiant encourages fans to take action in their communities and to promote unity, understanding, acceptance and inclusion. Fans in attendance will have the opportunity to sign up for a chance to win a $500 Allegiant Voucher at the game.
Fox Communities Credit Union will also be at the ballpark to hand out cash envelopes to the first 750 fans to attend the game. Random envelopes will have bills of various denominations inside of them.
Enjoy Cher-Make Hot dogs and 16-ounce Pepsi products for $1. There are also 16-ounce domestic beers available for $2 to those of legal drinking age. These specials are part of the Wednesday night Bang for Your Buck with Y100.
If you can't make it out to the ballpark, the radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM and the TuneIn Radio app starting with the Papa John's Pizza Pregame Show at 6:45pm. MiLB.tv subscribers can watch the game over the internet.
R H E
WIS 000 250 000 - 7 11 1
PEO 000 001 010 - 2 9 1
WP: Max Lazar (7-2)
LP: Colin Schmid (6-6)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Whitecaps Drop Homestand Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Finish Homestand with Impressive 9-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cubs Earn Massive Series Win against Loons in 4-3 Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series with 6-5 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Lose by a Foot - Kane County Cougars
- Lingos Out-Duels Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Loons Drop Finale to Cubs - Great Lakes Loons
- Cruz Tosses Another Brilliant Start for 'Caps - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Defeat Kernels in Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Fall 7-2 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Lazar Strikes Out Ten in 7-2 Win at Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 5-Run First Proves Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 20 vs. Bowling Green (Game 125) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lopez's Hitting Streak Ends in 7-2 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Collect Hits in Every Inning, Top Lansing 7-2 to Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 21-23 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Host Dayton Area Police Night at Fifth Third Field on August 22 - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Community Field to Host 20th Annual Oktoberfest - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Return Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons to Recognize Dayton Power and Light as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- Catcher Danner Returns to Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps "Cruzâ? to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Dock Spiders Announce Full 2020 Schedule
- It's Back: Friday Night Fish Fry To-Go from the Ballpark
- A Letter from Timber Rattlers President Rob Zerjav
- Promotions Announced for Front Offices of Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale