Lopez's Hitting Streak Ends in 7-2 Loss
LANSING, Mich. - Otto Lopez's 19-game hitting streak came to an end as the Dayton Dragons (24-33, 52-75) topped the Lansing Lugnuts (30-27, 62-64), 7-2, on Tuesday afternoon at Cooley Law School Stadium.
The Lugnuts split the four-game series with Dayton, finishing their seven-game homestand with a 4-3 record against the Dragons and Fort Wayne TinCaps.
Dayton starter Lyon Richardson (Win, 3-9) set the tone, limiting the Lugnuts to seven hits and one unearned run in 5 2/3 innings while striking out six.
The Dragons' offense, meanwhile, scored two runs in the second inning and one in the third against Lansing right-hander Troy Watson (Loss, 6-5), added a run in the sixth against Brody Rodning, and then finished up with two runs in the seventh and one in the eighth against Josh Hiatt. Each Dragons hitter collected at least one hit in a balanced attack, with six batters collecting exactly two hits.
Leadoff hitter Lopez, who entered the game with the second-highest batting average and second-most base hits in the Midwest League, typified the Lugnuts' struggles, finishing 0-for-5. Yorman Rodriguez and LJ Talley bolstered the Nuts' offense with two hits apiece, with Talley supplying a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the eighth for Lansing's final run.
The Lugnuts head out on the road on Wednesday, opening a three-game series at South Bend through Friday, before returning home on Saturday - Harry Potter Night with LAFCU Fireworks! - to open a seven-game homestand. To live the Lug Life and purchase tickets, visit lansinglugnuts.com, call (517) 485-4500 or come to the Cooley Law School Stadium box office at 505 E. Michigan Ave. in downtown Lansing.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Whitecaps Drop Homestand Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Finish Homestand with Impressive 9-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cubs Earn Massive Series Win against Loons in 4-3 Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series with 6-5 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Lose by a Foot - Kane County Cougars
- Lingos Out-Duels Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Loons Drop Finale to Cubs - Great Lakes Loons
- Cruz Tosses Another Brilliant Start for 'Caps - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Defeat Kernels in Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Fall 7-2 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Lazar Strikes Out Ten in 7-2 Win at Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 5-Run First Proves Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 20 vs. Bowling Green (Game 125) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lopez's Hitting Streak Ends in 7-2 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Collect Hits in Every Inning, Top Lansing 7-2 to Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 21-23 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Host Dayton Area Police Night at Fifth Third Field on August 22 - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Community Field to Host 20th Annual Oktoberfest - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Return Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons to Recognize Dayton Power and Light as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- Catcher Danner Returns to Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps "Cruzâ? to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.