Loons Drop Finale to Cubs
MIDLAND, Mich. - The Great Lakes Loons hoped to make it a series split against the South Bend Cubs on Tuesday night. But, South Bend got the better of the Loons narrowly escaping Midland with a 4-3 win as their chase for a 2nd half Midwest League Playoff spot pushes on as they leave town.
In a seesaw battle that saw the lead change hands three different times, the Loons pulled ahead 2-1 in the bottom of the 5th inning when Dan Robinson singled and James Outman produced a sacrifice fly. Robinson was one of two Loons, the other being Justin Yurchak, to have a multi-hit night.
After falling behind 4-2 in the 8th, Sam McWilliams reached base for the Loons on a fielding error that allowed Brandon Lewis to score. Matt Cogen proceeded to walk to load the bases with one out, but Chris Roller grounded into a double play to end the threat.
Ryan Pepiot, who has made seven starts for the Loons since being drafted in the 3rd round out of Butler by the Los Angeles Dodgers in June, tossed 2.2 innings scoreless with three strikeouts. Justin Hagenman was equally impressive allowing just one hit over three innings with three strikeouts. Zach Willeman (L, 3-6) was saddled with the loss.
The Loons still possess one of the better records in all of Minor League Baseball at 75-49 and are in a race with the Quad Cities River Bandits down the stretch to have the best record in the MWL this season.
Aug 21: Camels Bottle Opener Coaster Giveaway & FIREWORKS!
Aug 22: Lucky Hot Dog & Michigander Night
Aug 23: The Office Night feat. Leslie David Baker (aka Stanley Hudson)
Aug 28: BINGO Night
Aug 29: Hockey Night w/ the Saginaw Spirit
Aug 30: Loons Hat Giveaway
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Whitecaps Drop Homestand Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Finish Homestand with Impressive 9-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cubs Earn Massive Series Win against Loons in 4-3 Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series with 6-5 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Lose by a Foot - Kane County Cougars
- Lingos Out-Duels Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Loons Drop Finale to Cubs - Great Lakes Loons
- Cruz Tosses Another Brilliant Start for 'Caps - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Defeat Kernels in Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Fall 7-2 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Lazar Strikes Out Ten in 7-2 Win at Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 5-Run First Proves Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 20 vs. Bowling Green (Game 125) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lopez's Hitting Streak Ends in 7-2 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Collect Hits in Every Inning, Top Lansing 7-2 to Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 21-23 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Host Dayton Area Police Night at Fifth Third Field on August 22 - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Community Field to Host 20th Annual Oktoberfest - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Return Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons to Recognize Dayton Power and Light as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- Catcher Danner Returns to Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps "Cruzâ? to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Great Lakes Loons Stories
- Go Green! Go Blue! Watch Party Coming to Dow Diamond October 31
- Dow vs Midland Football Watch Party Tickets on Sale Friday
- Loons to Host High School Football Watch Parties at Dow Diamond
- MiLB Announces 2020 Season Canceled
- Loons Join MiLB's CommUNITY First Campaign