River Bandits Defeat Kernels in Finale
DAVENPORT, IOWA - The Quad Cities River Bandits rolled to a 9-3 victory Tuesday evening against the Cedar Rapids Kernels at Modern Woodmen Park. Tuesday's triumph gave the River Bandits (32-25, 75-48) a 3-1 series win over the Kernels (32-25, 71-56).
Quad Cities quickly claimed a 1-0 edge within the second inning. Zach Biermann hit a one-out double and reached third base on a Trey Dawson groundout. AJ Lee's two-out single drove Biermann in for the first run of the contest.
The River Bandits stretched their lead to 3-0 in the third. A single by Freudis Nova and a double from Wilyer Abreu put a pair of runners in scoring position. Alex McKenna collected a sacrifice fly that allowed Nova to score. Grae Kessinger followed with an RBI single that plated Abreu.
During the fifth inning, a three-run outburst doubled the advantage for Quad Cities. Austin Dennis brought in Kessinger via fielder's choice before Biermann delivered a two-run single to secure a 6-0 lead while driving in Alex Holderbach and Dennis.
Another trio of runs within the sixth put the score at 9-0 River Bandits. With the bases loaded and two outs in the inning, Dennis doubled to bring in Nova, Abreu, and Kessinger. Dennis tried for a triple but was thrown out on a 9-4-5 relay. LaMonte Wade Jr., who is with the Kernels on a rehab assignment from the Minnesota Twins, picked up the outfield assist.
Cedar Rapids broke up the shutout in the eighth inning. Daniel Ozoria led off with a single, and an errant throw on a pickoff attempt allowed him to advance to third base. Spencer Steer's run-scoring groundout plated Ozoria and trimmed the difference to 9-1.
Jared Akins homered to spark a ninth-inning comeback attempt, but Quad Cities held on to the 9-3 win. The two-run home run to left field was the 11th blast for Akins and the Midwest League-leading 102nd round-tripper for Cedar Rapids.
Matt Ruppenthal (5-6) earned the win against Kody Funderburk (0-3) during the series finale. Ruppenthal registered a personal-high seven shutout innings and added five strikeouts. Funderburk was charged for six runs over 4.2 innings.
This 10-game Kernels road swing continues with a three-game series at the Clinton LumberKings. Cedar Rapids right-hander Luis Rijo (5-7, 2.63) will face Clinton right-hander Josh Roberson (1-4, 3.29) in Wednesday's opener. First pitch will be at 6:30 p.m. with Chris Kleinhans-Schulz calling the tilt on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com and www.kernels.com.
Fans can purchase tickets for all 2019 Cedar Rapids Kernels home games including the playoff opener September 4 against the Quad Cities River Bandits by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Whitecaps Drop Homestand Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Finish Homestand with Impressive 9-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cubs Earn Massive Series Win against Loons in 4-3 Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series with 6-5 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Lose by a Foot - Kane County Cougars
- Lingos Out-Duels Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Loons Drop Finale to Cubs - Great Lakes Loons
- Cruz Tosses Another Brilliant Start for 'Caps - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Defeat Kernels in Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Fall 7-2 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Lazar Strikes Out Ten in 7-2 Win at Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 5-Run First Proves Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 20 vs. Bowling Green (Game 125) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lopez's Hitting Streak Ends in 7-2 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Collect Hits in Every Inning, Top Lansing 7-2 to Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 21-23 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Host Dayton Area Police Night at Fifth Third Field on August 22 - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Community Field to Host 20th Annual Oktoberfest - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Return Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons to Recognize Dayton Power and Light as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- Catcher Danner Returns to Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps "Cruzâ? to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks