TinCaps Game Notes: August 20 vs. Bowling Green (Game 125)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (24-32, 57-67) vs. Bowling Green Hot Rods (33-23, 72-54)
LHP Omar Cruz vs. RHP Shane Baz
Tuesday, Aug. 20 - Parkview Field (Fort Wayne, Ind.) - First Pitch 7:05 PM (Game 125 / 138)
WATCH: John Nolan & Brett Rump (Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV)
LISTEN: Mike Maahs & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST NIGHT: The TinCaps fell to the Hot Rods, 4-3.
HOT AT HOME: The TinCaps are 13-6 here since July 17. Fort Wayne has won 5 consecutive series at home and can do no worse than a split in this one.
LEADING OFF: Third baseman Ethan Skender hit leadoff in 13 of his 14 games in the Arizona League this summer. Tonight will be his first team leading off for the 'Caps... Since he made his TinCaps debut on July 14, Skender is tied for 7th in the MWL in RBIs (21) and ranks 8th in average (.327).
MAKING HIS MARK: Shortstop Tucupita Marcano made SportsCenter last night for a behind-the-back flip to second base for a force-out in the 8th inning. It was No. 7 on Top 10 Plays... On June 26, Luis Almanzar made a diving catch at first base that landed at No. 2... In 2017, Fernando Tatis Jr. had 2 catches at shortstop make SC Top Plays, while Reinaldo Ilarraza had 1...
Marcano has the 2nd lowest K% in the MWL at 9.3%. He has the 3rd lowest swinging strike% (4.2%). With 33 walks against only 43 strikeouts, his BB/K ratio (0.77) ranks 8th. His 115 hits on the season rank 6th.
HUNTING HITS: In 53 games since May 26, catcher Blake Hunt has slashed .296/.353/.429 (.782 OPS).
HOT CURRY: Left fielder Michael Curry is currently on a season-best 7-game hitting streak and a season-long 11-game on-base streak... In 63 games since May 26, Curry's .902 OPS is 2nd in the MWL to only Lansing's Griffin Conine. Curry's .316 AVG is 2nd to only Lansing's Otto Lopez. Curry's .411 OBP is 2nd to only Peoria's Brendan Donovan. Curry's .491 SLG is 3rd to just Conine and Lansing's Gabriel Moreno.
JUST INFORMATION: Over his last 25 games (since July 21), second baseman Justin Lopez has slashed .309/.343/.485 (.828 OPS) with 8 doubles, 3 homers, and 14 RBIs... Lopez, 19, is 1 of only 3 teenagers in the MWL with 11 home runs this season. The others are Burlington infielder Kevin Maitan, the No. 24 Angels prospect, and Lansing catcher Gabriel Moreno, the No. 9 Blue Jays prospect.
DWS, OBP: Outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton leads the MWL in OBP (.409)... He also leads the league in HBP (29), setting a single-season franchise record. That includes being hit by 4 pitches in a game against Cedar Rapids on July 22 (which tied a MiLB record and has never happened before in a MLB game). The previous franchise record for HBP in a season was 23... Williams-Sutton ranks 7th in the MWL in BB% (14.6%)... His 133 wRC+ is tops in the league among active players. (wRC+ is a stat to estimate a player's offensive contribution.)
WALK & RUN: Center fielder Jawuan Harris ranks 3rd in the MWL in stolen bases with 29. He's the only player in the league who's stolen more than 22 bases while be caught stealing fewer than 5 times... Harris ranks 10th in the MWL in BB% (14.1%).
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have issued the fewest walks in the MWL this season, averaging just 2.9 per 9 innings. Fort Wayne also has the best ratio of strikeouts to walks (3.10).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Whitecaps Drop Homestand Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Finish Homestand with Impressive 9-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cubs Earn Massive Series Win against Loons in 4-3 Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series with 6-5 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Lose by a Foot - Kane County Cougars
- Lingos Out-Duels Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Loons Drop Finale to Cubs - Great Lakes Loons
- Cruz Tosses Another Brilliant Start for 'Caps - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Defeat Kernels in Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Fall 7-2 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Lazar Strikes Out Ten in 7-2 Win at Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 5-Run First Proves Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 20 vs. Bowling Green (Game 125) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lopez's Hitting Streak Ends in 7-2 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Collect Hits in Every Inning, Top Lansing 7-2 to Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 21-23 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Host Dayton Area Police Night at Fifth Third Field on August 22 - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Community Field to Host 20th Annual Oktoberfest - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Return Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons to Recognize Dayton Power and Light as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- Catcher Danner Returns to Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps "Cruzâ? to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.