Cougars Lose by a Foot
Geneva, Illinois - In the finale of a seven-game homestand the Kane County Cougars (71-55, 36-21) lost 6-5 to the Clinton LumberKings (67-59, 34-23). The Cougars saw their lead in the division slip to two games over the LumberKings with a 2-5 homestand.
The LumberKings grabbed two first inning runs on a bases loaded walk then an RBI single by Evan Edwards. The Cougars evened the score in the bottom of the first on Zack Shannon's two-run double. Clinton jumped ahead, 3-2, in the top of the second when Bubba Hollins hit a sacrifice fly. Kristian Robinson unloaded for a go-ahead two-run homer in the bottom of the second.
In the fourth, Peyton Burdick laced a two-run single up the middle for the LumberKings to put them ahead for good. Clinton pushed another run across in the eighth when Cougar pitcher Bryan Menendez was not granted 'time' and tossed the ball into the dugout.
With two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Joey Rose crushed a solo homer to make it a one-run game. On the next pitch, Keshawn Lynch flied out to the warning track to end the game.
The Cougars embark on a ten-game road trip, beginning Wednesday night in Beloit with the first game of a three-game set at 6:30. Follow the action live on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Whitecaps Drop Homestand Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Finish Homestand with Impressive 9-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cubs Earn Massive Series Win against Loons in 4-3 Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series with 6-5 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Lose by a Foot - Kane County Cougars
- Lingos Out-Duels Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Loons Drop Finale to Cubs - Great Lakes Loons
- Cruz Tosses Another Brilliant Start for 'Caps - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Defeat Kernels in Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Fall 7-2 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Lazar Strikes Out Ten in 7-2 Win at Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 5-Run First Proves Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 20 vs. Bowling Green (Game 125) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lopez's Hitting Streak Ends in 7-2 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Collect Hits in Every Inning, Top Lansing 7-2 to Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 21-23 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Host Dayton Area Police Night at Fifth Third Field on August 22 - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Community Field to Host 20th Annual Oktoberfest - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Return Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons to Recognize Dayton Power and Light as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- Catcher Danner Returns to Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps "Cruzâ? to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season