Cubs Earn Massive Series Win against Loons in 4-3 Finale
Midland, MI: The South Bend Cubs finished off one of their biggest wins of the year against the Great Lakes Loons from Dow Diamond on Tuesday night. In a 4-3 nail-biter final, South Bend squeezed out the finale win and took the series three games out of four from the club with the Midwest's Leagues best record.
For the fourth straight time in the series, the Cubs scored first. Buddy Bailey's team was able to put almost immediate pressure on the Loons in each game of the four game set. Tonight, it was 19-year-old center fielder Cole Roederer driving in Andy Weber in the 4th inning to lead 1-0. This gave Cubs starter Faustino Carrera some important run support.
At first, it was a pitcher's duel developing for the series finale. Carrera and Great Lakes starter Ryan Pepiot both worked three shutout innings to start the game. Overall, Carrera worked another quality start. The lefty finished with six innings of two run baseball and three strikeouts to earn his eighth win.
The Cubs expanded their lead and plated two runs in the top of the 6th inning with base hits from Nelson Velazquez and Jake Slaughter. The former LSU Tiger Slaughter has reached base safely in all 17 games he has played with South Bend. Velazquez continued his hot stretch after hitting a three run home run earlier in the series.
The Loons had their opportunities to take the lead back, however. The Los Angeles Dodgers affiliates provided some late inning drama against Ivan Medina in the bottom of the 8th. Great Lakes put the go ahead run on base, but Chris Roller grounded into an inning-ending double play to spoil the opportunity.
In the bottom of the 9th, Sean Barry worked a 1-2-3 inning to earn the save. With the win, the Cubs improve their overall record to 69-56 and lead the Eastern Division wild card by two games over Lansing. South Bend is two games behind Bowling Green for first place.
With this series now in the rear view mirror, the Cubs will begin a key three-game series tomorrow night against Lansing at 7:05 PM. Right-hander Zach Mort is the expected starter for South Bend.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Whitecaps Drop Homestand Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Finish Homestand with Impressive 9-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cubs Earn Massive Series Win against Loons in 4-3 Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series with 6-5 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Lose by a Foot - Kane County Cougars
- Lingos Out-Duels Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Loons Drop Finale to Cubs - Great Lakes Loons
- Cruz Tosses Another Brilliant Start for 'Caps - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Defeat Kernels in Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Fall 7-2 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Lazar Strikes Out Ten in 7-2 Win at Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 5-Run First Proves Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 20 vs. Bowling Green (Game 125) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lopez's Hitting Streak Ends in 7-2 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Collect Hits in Every Inning, Top Lansing 7-2 to Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 21-23 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Host Dayton Area Police Night at Fifth Third Field on August 22 - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Community Field to Host 20th Annual Oktoberfest - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Return Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons to Recognize Dayton Power and Light as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- Catcher Danner Returns to Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps "Cruzâ? to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- FAQ: Stu & Swoop's Cops and Goblins on October 26
- Cops & Goblins Tickets Available at Cubs Den Saturday
- South Bend Cubs Host VIP Football Watch Party October 10
- Video Board Message Donations Return for Breast Cancer Awareness MonthÃÂ
- Cubs Host Final Movie Night and Fireworks Show for Charity