Dragons Collect Hits in Every Inning, Top Lansing 7-2 to Split Series
Lansing, Mich. - Jay Schuyler had two hits and three runs batted in and Miguel Hernandez added two doubles with two RBI to lead the Dayton Dragons to a 7-2 victory over the Lansing Lugnuts on Tuesday afternoon. The win gave the Dragons a split of the four-game series in Lansing as they closed out their seven-game road trip with a record of 3-4.
The Dragons collected 15 hits in the game, their second highest total in a game this season and their highest since they had 18 on July 5 at Bowling Green. All nine hitters had at least one hit, and the Dragons had at least one hit in all nine innings. They matched a season-high for most hits with men in scoring position in a series with 13 over the four-game set.
For the third straight day, the Dragons jumped out to an early three-run lead. They scored two runs in the second inning and one more in the fourth to lead 3-0. In the second, Miles Gordon got the rally started with a lead-off single before he stole second and third. Schuyler's base hit brought in Gordon to make it 1-0. After Cameron Warren singled Schuyler around to third, Hernandez delivered a sacrifice fly to give the Dragons a 2-0 lead. They added another run in the fourth when Schuyler walked to start the inning, went to third on Warren's double to left, and scored on Hernandez's second sacrifice fly of the day to make it 3-0.
Lansing scored an unearned run in the fifth to make it 3-1, but the Dragons responded. They scored in the sixth inning when Hernandez doubled and scored on Michael Siani's single to make it 4-1. They took command in the seventh when Schuyler delivered a two-out, two-run single to drive in Randy Ventura and Juan Martinez and give the Dragons a 6-1 lead. They added one more run in the eighth when Hernandez delivered his second double of the game and scored on Claudio Finol's single. Lansing closed out the scoring with one run in the bottom of the eighth.
Siani, Ventura, Martinez, and Warren joined Schuyler and Hernandez with two hits each for Dayton.
Dragons starting pitcher Lyon Richardson (3-9) was credited with the win. He worked five and two-thirds innings, allowing one unearned run on seven hits with no walks and six strikeouts.
Tyler Gibson made his Dragons debut in relief of Richardson. Gibson got the final out in the sixth on a strikeout, and then pitched a scoreless seventh inning. Matt Pidich finished the game by working two innings and allowing one run on one hit with two strikeouts.
Up Next: The Dragons (24-33, 52-75) return home to begin a three-game series on Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. against the Fort Wayne TinCaps (24-32, 57-67). Connor Curlis (4-5, 2.53) will start for the Dragons against Fort Wayne's Efrain Contreras (5-5, 3.84).
The series with Fort Wayne will continue with games on Thursday and Friday nights. For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
On the Air: All Dragons home and road games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Whitecaps Drop Homestand Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Finish Homestand with Impressive 9-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cubs Earn Massive Series Win against Loons in 4-3 Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series with 6-5 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Lose by a Foot - Kane County Cougars
- Lingos Out-Duels Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Loons Drop Finale to Cubs - Great Lakes Loons
- Cruz Tosses Another Brilliant Start for 'Caps - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Defeat Kernels in Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Fall 7-2 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Lazar Strikes Out Ten in 7-2 Win at Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 5-Run First Proves Too Much for Beloit - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 20 vs. Bowling Green (Game 125) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lopez's Hitting Streak Ends in 7-2 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Collect Hits in Every Inning, Top Lansing 7-2 to Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 21-23 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Host Dayton Area Police Night at Fifth Third Field on August 22 - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Community Field to Host 20th Annual Oktoberfest - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Return Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons to Recognize Dayton Power and Light as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- Catcher Danner Returns to Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps "Cruzâ? to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dayton Dragons announce holiday "50/50 Raffle" Presented by Day Air Credit Union Benefitting The Dayton Foodbank
- Dragons Special 50/50 Raffle to Benefit COVID-19 Response Fund & African-American Community Fund
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled
- Dayton Dragons Issue Statement Regarding Governor's Order
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 3: Second Basemen