Langan Lifts Solar Bears Past Grizzlies in OT
ORLANDO, Fla. - Dylan Fitze scored twice in regulation and Tristin Langan finished off the night in sudden-death with his third career overtime-winner as the Orlando Solar Bears (20-15-2-0) held off a furious comeback from the Utah Grizzlies (25-13-2-1) with a 4-3 overtime victory on Thursday night at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center.
Luke Boka was initially credited with the opening goal midway through the first period, but Fitze was later awarded the tally after the puck was determined to have banked in off of a Utah player past Peyton Jones.
Hunter Fejes then scored to make it 2-0, before Fitze netted his second of the evening when he corralled a loose puck just inside the blue line and snapped a shot past Jones' glove.
The Grizzlies stormed back, however, as Quinn Ryan and Brian Bowen scored in the second period, and Bowen deflected the tying score with 41 seconds left in regulation with Jones pulled for an extra skater.
With the game tied at the end of 60 minutes, Brad Barone sent a pass into neutral territory to Luke McInnis, who brought the puck up the left wing and dished a pass to Langan in the slot, who fired a shot through the legs of Jones to win the game.
ORL Goal: Dylan Fitze (6) at 8:51. Assisted by Kevin Lohan and Fabrizio Ricci.
ORL Goal: Hunter Fejes (7) at 12:40. Assisted by Odeen Tufto and Michael Brodzinski.
ORL Goal: Dylan Fitze (7) at 16:46.
SHOTS: ORL 11, UTA 8
UTA Goal: Quinn Ryan (10) at 12:52. Assisted by Andrew Nielsen and Gehrett Sargis.
UTA Goal: Brian Bowen (13) [PP] at 15:50. Assisted by Christian Simeone and Andrew Nielsen.
SHOTS: ORL 12, UTA 11
UTA Goal: Brian Bowen (14) at 19:19. Assisted by Luke Martin and Trey Bradley.
SHOTS: ORL 10, UTA 6
ORL Goal: Tristin Langan (8) at 3:06. Assisted by Luke McInnis and Brad Barone.
SHOTS: ORL 1, UTA 2
ORL: Brad Barone, 24-for-27
UTA: Peyton Jones, 30-for-34
Langan's goal tied Mickey Lang for the most overtime goals in team history; the goal was also Langan's 49th career goal with Orlando, placing him two behind Eric Faille (51) for second place in team history.
Fitze had his second multi-goal game of the season, tied for the team lead.
Fejes led Orlando with seven shots on goal.
Barone picked up the win against his former club, giving him 13 on the season.
Chad Duchesne skated in his 300th professional game.
The last two home games for the Solar Bears have gone to overtime; Orlando is now 3-1 in overtime games on home ice this season.
Orlando improved to 6-0-0-0 at home when leading after two periods.
The Solar Bears improved to 15-1-0-0 when scoring first.
Bid on our Pink Whitney jerseys!
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears are back in action against the Grizzlies on Monday, Jan. 31 at 7 p.m. at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 28, 2022
- Baylis Leads Rush Past Tulsa, 4-3 - Rapid City Rush
- Kuffner's Two Goals Not Enough Friday at Xtream Arena - Iowa Heartlanders
- Admirals Lead from Start to Finish, Defeat Stingrays - Norfolk Admirals
- High Scoring Affair Drops Stingrays in Norfolk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Split Series with 7-2 Decision - Wheeling Nailers
- Rabbits Complete Comeback in Win over Everblades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Increase Win Streak to Three Games with 6-3 Win over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Nell Shuts out Jacksonville in Glads Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Keenan, Myer Score as Toledo Stops Indy, 3-1, on the Road - Toledo Walleye
- Three Goal Period Dooms Blades in 4-3 Loss - Florida Everblades
- Railers Stall Mariners Comeback Attempts - Maine Mariners
- Early Pair of Goals Hand Walleye Win over the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Icemen Acquire Defenseman Pavel Vorobey; Berzolla Recalled - Jacksonville Icemen
- Watts Released from PTO; Returns to Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - January 28 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Acquire Steven Oleksy from Walleye - Orlando Solar Bears
- Dallas Stars Assign Defenseman Dawson Barteaux to Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel Trade Vorobei to Jacksonville - Indy Fuel
- Rabbits Acquire Johnny Coughlin in Trade with Cincinnati - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Lou Ferrigno to Make Special Appearance on Scout Night - Wichita Thunder
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Announce Several Transactions - Allen Americans
- Royals Take on Thunder to Kick off Back-To-Back on the Road - Reading Royals
- Everblades and Bunnies Set for Three Games in Three Days - Florida Everblades
- Glads Kick off Weekend against Top-Ranked Icemen - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Preview: Growlers Land in Texas - Allen Americans
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits VS Everblades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Rush Dropped in Tulsa, 7-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Langan Lifts Solar Bears Past Grizzlies in OT - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Solar Bears Announce School Day Game for 2022-23 Season
- Solar Bears 2022-23 Home Opener Is October 23 vs. Icemen
- Solar Bears and Head Coach Drake Berehowsky Agree to Part Ways
- Bird, McInnis Receive Try-Outs with Barracuda
- Solar Bears Eliminated from Playoffs in 3-1 Loss to Icemen