Komets Power Play Too Much for K-Wings
FORT WAYNE, IN - The ECHL's top-ranked power play picked up where it left off last weekend, as the Fort Wayne Komets (8-4-1-0) scored three times with the man-advantage to upend the Kalamazoo Wings (4-4-2-0), 7-2 Friday at Memorial Coliseum.
A goal 35 seconds into the game from Komets forward A.J. Jenks, who banked a shot in off the back of Jake Kielly from the corner, set the tone early. Kalamazoo settled in, however, and Zach Diamantoni buried a backhander at the end of a 2-on-1 rush to even the score at 6:49 of the opening frame.
The momentum shifted when Fort Wayne killed off a 5-on-3 K-Wings power play. A blast from the point from Olivier Galipeau made it through a screen and into the top corner of the net to put the Komets ahead 2-1, and Shawn St-Amant made it 3-1 on a late power play before the first break.
Kalamazoo flipped the momentum in the second period. Outshot 16-7 in the first, the K-Wings outshot Fort Wayne 15-7 in the middle stanza and cut into the Komets lead. Justin Kovacs gathered a rebound in the slot and snapped a shot past Dylan Ferguson to bring Kalamazoo to within one 5:26 into the period.
A late delay of game penalty, however, put the Komets power play to work again. A Shawn Szydlowski point shot deflected off of Brad Ross in front of the net and past Kielly for the Komets' second power play goal of the night, giving Fort Wayne a 4-2 lead after two.
The Komets scored a third power play goal just past the midway point of the third period when Brett McKenzie, stationed in front of the net, tipped in a shot from the point. Brad Morrison added some insurance for Fort Wayne with a quick goal 31 seconds later to make it 6-2. McKenzie, for good measure, added a late short-handed tally on a breakaway for the seventh Komets goal.
The K-Wings return home Saturday for a 7:00 p.m. showdown with the Utah Grizzlies at Wings Event Center. It's Wonder Woman Night in Kalamazoo, as the Wings will be wearing special jerseys paying homage to the popular DC Comics character. Fans will be able to bid on those game-worn jerseys through the Handbid mobile app during the game. Exclusive meet and greet ticket packages will also be available at the box office, which includes a pre-game meet and greet opportunity with Wonder Woman.
Kalamazoo Wings 3-Packs are on sale now. Visit kwings.com to find out how you can score with a great deal on tickets!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 15, 2019
- Komets Power Play Too Much for K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Open Midwest Swing with 4-1 Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Klimek Strikes Late to Give Rays 4-3 Win over Indy - South Carolina Stingrays
- Idaho Gets Past Thunder, 4-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Mariners Rally Early and Late to Slay the Beast - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Annihilate Admirals - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Last-Minute Goal Downs Walleye in Return to Newfoundland - Toledo Walleye
- Hedden's Five Points Propel IceMen over Gladiators 7-3 - Jacksonville IceMen
- GAME RECAP: Atlanta Overpowered in 7-3 Defeat to IceMen - Atlanta Gladiators
- Indy Falls 4-3 to South Carolina in Seven-Goal Thriller - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Drop 80's Night Battle to Royals - Adirondack Thunder
- Rookies Key First-Place Royals to 4-1 Win - Reading Royals
- Wheeling's Home Winning Streak Snapped at Five - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Squash the Walleye 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Ebbing Signs with Royals Ahead of Friday Game - Reading Royals
- Parker Milner Recalled by Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - November 15 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Sign Lucas Kohls - Orlando Solar Bears
- First-Ever "Paint the Ice" Event November 18-19 for Hockey Fights Cancer Game - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Mavericks, KCWE Add Road Broadcast to TV Schedule - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cuglietta, Vala Recalled to Texas Stars Ahead of Road Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Royals at Adirondack Before Six-Game Homestand - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 15 vs. Toledo Walleye - Newfoundland Growlers
- Paterson Outstanding in 1-0 Overtime Loss to Cincinnati - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.