Jones Stymies Nailers and Landers Win, 2-1
February 3, 2023 - ECHL (ECHL) - Iowa Heartlanders News Release
Wheeling, WV - Iowa Heartlanders goaltender Hunter Jones made 25 saves and Iowa won their first road game of the season, 2-1, over the Wheeling Nailers Friday at Wesbanco Arena.
Iowa allowed a goal to Max Johnson on the first shot of the game, meaning Jones made 25 straight saves to end the game. He has allowed three goals of fewer in 11 games this season. Friday was his second win of the season.
The Landers rematch the Nailers Saturday at 6:10 p.m.
Max Johnson scored the game's first strike 1:29 into the game.
Carson Denomie tallied his first of the season to tie the game at one, a power-play marker at 14:01 of the first. He broke over the line, deked to the high slot and wristed it high and over the blocker, assisted by Alec Broetzman.
Iowa took a 2-1 lead early in the second on Yuki Miura's goal. James Sanchez forced a neutral-ice interception and cut in over the line to the right slot. He backhanded it through the slot to Miura and the second-year pro slammed it in alone at the left doorstep. Miura has scored twice in the last three games.
Bailey Brkin took the loss despite 22 saves.
View the team's full promotional schedule at iowaheartlanders.com/promotions.
The Heartlanders are back at home Wed., Feb. 8 to play the Indy Fuel at 7:05 p.m.
Iowa starts a seven-game home stand on Fri., Feb. 17 at 7:05 p.m. vs. Wheeling. Feb. 17 - Feb. 19 is the start of Iowa's Cancer Awareness Series, honoring those that have fought, are currently fighting or have battled cancer. Specialty theme jerseys will be worn for the weekend and are available for purchase inclusive of a postgame meet-and-greet on the DASH App. The games against Wheeling are Fri., Feb. 17 at 7:05 p.m., Sat. Feb. 18 at 7:05 p.m. and Sun., Feb. 19 at 2:05 p.m.
The Heartlanders continue the home stand Feb. 22, Feb. 24 and Feb. 25 vs. Indy for Iowa's Diversity Awareness Series, celebrating how sports bring us together. The Heartlanders will demonstrate their commitment to create and environment that fosters inclusion for all. Games take place Wed., Feb. 22 vs. Indy at 7:05 p.m., Fri., Feb. 24 at 7:05 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo and Sat., Feb. 25 at 7:05 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo.
Single-game tickets, group ticket options, partial plans and season ticket memberships are available for Heartlanders home games at Xtream Arena. Call 319-569-PUCK or visit iowaheartlanders.com/tickets for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 3, 2023
- K-Wings Fight Back Late, Komets Prevail at Home - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Shut Out By Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Late Flurry Not Enough for Comeback - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Hang on for 4-3 Win at Tulsa - Idaho Steelheads
- Railers Fall to Stingrays to Open Three-In-Three, 3-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Walleye Grab a Dominating Home Win in Front of Record-Breaking Crowd - Toledo Walleye
- Pekar's Hatty, Sinclair's Shutout Fuel Way to 3-0 Win Over Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades' Winning Streak Ends in Jacksonville - Florida Everblades
- Evans' Buzzer-Beater Stops Railers in Their Tracks - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Climb Back from Two Goal Deficits, Fall Short Against Trois-Rivieres - Norfolk Admirals
- Heartlanders End Road Drought in Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Jones Stymies Nailers and Landers Win, 2-1 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Poulter Stops 49 In 5-2 Win Over Royals - Adirondack Thunder
- Mariners Fall to Growlers in Tight-Checking Game - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Outmuscle Mariners 3-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - February 3 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Everblades at Icemen, February 3, 2023 - Jacksonville Icemen
- K-Wings Loan Goaltender Hunter Vorva to AHL Monsters - Kalamazoo Wings
- Forward Antonio Stranges Re-Assigned to Idaho from Texas by Dallas - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Railers, February 3 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Here Comes the Cavalry - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Grizzlies Gameday: Friday Night Battle at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Face Utah Tonight in Game 2 of a Three-Game Series - Allen Americans
- Royals Open February with Two-Game Series against Thunder - Reading Royals
- Wichita Adds Netminder Dop - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Heartlanders Stories
- Iowa and Wichita Combine for 102 PIM in 4-2 Landers Defeat
- Iowa Comes from Behind to Win OT Thriller, 3-2
- Heartlanders Force OT, Thunder Win It, 3-2
- Jones Shines for his First ECHL Shutout in 2-0 Win over Wings
- Iowa's Late Resilience a Few Short Saturday in 4-2 Loss