J.P. Lamoureux Leads Utah To 2-1 Shootout Win In Return
West Valley City, Utah - The Utah Grizzlies (33-32-4-3) defeated the Bakersfield Condors (41-27-2-2) 2-1 in a shootout Saturday night at Maverik Center before 6,629 fans in the season finale for both teams.
Utah opens the playoffs Tuesday and Wednesday at Maverik Center with the Stockton Thunder in a 2-3 best-of-five series.
J.P. Lamoureux, (11-7-1-0) in his first game at Maverik Center since back-to-back shutouts against Victoria December 31 and January 1, stopped 44 of 45 in the game and all five in the shootout to get Utah the win. Lamoureux had spent the previous three months with the AHL's Abbotsford Heat, which is the AHL affiliate for the NHL's Calgary Flames.
"His mental strength is amazing, he's excited to be here and he was outstanding" said Assistant Coach Leigh Mendelson on Lamoureux.
Utah led 1-0 for 11:59 in the second period when Matt Clarke buried a goal as he took a beautiful feed on an odd-man rush from rookie Matt Reber in his first pro game.
Paul McIlveen was the only player on either side to score in the shootout.
Tuesday is a Jumping Jack Cash 2-For-1 Tuesday with select lower bowl tickets buy-one-get-one-free. Wednesday is a Wild $2 Wednesday with $2 Hot Dogs, $2 Fries, $2 Soft Drinks and $2 Draft Beers, plus $5 student tickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2011
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Nailers Single Game Playoff Tickets on Sale Monday - Wheeling Nailers
- Playoffs Open Tuesday in Utah: First Round Playoff Preview - Utah Grizzlies
- Holtby Named the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces Schedule for Conference Quarterfinals of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - ECHL
- Alaska Wins Brabham Cup - ECHL
- Jackals Head to Playoffs Following 4-1 Loss to K-Wings - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Finish Season With 5-2 Win in Reading - Trenton Devils
- Thunder settles for 3rd seed in Conference, heads into playoffs with 7-1-3 run - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Captures First Round Home Ice Advantage, Announces Playoff Schedule vs. Utah - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Win Brabham Cup With 4-1 Victory - Alaska Aces
- Royals Announce 2010-11 Reading Eagle Fan's Choice Awards - Reading Royals
- Victoria closes out 2010-11 campaign with 4-1 loss against Alaska - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condors win Division, begin Kelly Cup Playoffs in Victoria - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Edged in Regular Season Finale - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Closes Out Season With 6-4 Loss To Idaho - Ontario Reign
- Royals to Face Cincinnati Cyclones in Eastern Conference Quarter-Finals - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Host Stockton Tuesday, Wednesday To Open Playoffs - Utah Grizzlies
- Idaho closes regular season with 6-4 victory - Idaho Steelheads
- J.P. Lamoureux Leads Utah To 2-1 Shootout Win In Return - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Downed by Devils, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Condors fall in shootout 2-1, win Pacific Division - Bakersfield Condors
- Kalamazoo Closes Regular Season with 4-1 Win Over Elmira - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo Announces Playoff Slogan and Round One Dates - Kalamazoo Wings
- South Carolina Stingrays Playoff Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- $5 tickets on sale now for first round matchup between Victoria and Bakersfield - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.