Ontario Closes Out Season With 6-4 Loss To Idaho
ONTARIO, Calif. - The Ontario Reign, proud affiliate of the NHL's Los Angeles Kings, fell to the Idaho Steelheads, 6-4, before a sell-out crowd of 9,592 fans at Citizens Business Bank Arena Saturday night.
The Reign offense wasted no time, as Michael Pelech and Justin Taylor each scored their 10th goals of the season in the opening minutes of the first period. Pelech's slap shot just 61 seconds into the match gave the Reign a 1-0 lead. At 2:43, Craig Gaudet's shot rang off the left post and onto the stick of Taylor, who snapped it past Adrien Lemay to make it 2-0. Mark Derlago got Idaho on the board with a goal at 5:09 before Alex Bourret extended his point streak to seven games with a goal at 10:39. Drop passes from Kyle Kraemer and Jordan Morrison fell to Bourret as he made it 3-1 with a rocket from the top of the left circle. Evan Barlow scored at 15:38 to cut the Reign lead to 3-2.
Idaho responded in the second period with a goal by Kael Mouillierat, two by Evan Barlow, and Derlago's second of the game to put Idaho ahead, 5-3. Jase Weslosky replaced Beau Erickson at 8:24. Rookies Aaron Lewadniuk and C.J. Stretch teamed up on the power play to pull Ontario within one at 12:31. Lewadiuk hit Stretch with a pass through the crease and Stretch pounded it into the net before Lemay could get his left pad out to block it.
The Steelheads re-gained a two-score lead at 7:35 of the third period with a goal by Aki Seitsonen, and Idaho held on to beat Ontario by a final score of 6-4.
Erickson and Weslosky combined for 33 saves in the loss, while Lemay and Kuhn turned aside a combined 18 shots for the win.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2011
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Nailers Single Game Playoff Tickets on Sale Monday - Wheeling Nailers
- Playoffs Open Tuesday in Utah: First Round Playoff Preview - Utah Grizzlies
- Holtby Named the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces Schedule for Conference Quarterfinals of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - ECHL
- Alaska Wins Brabham Cup - ECHL
- Jackals Head to Playoffs Following 4-1 Loss to K-Wings - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Finish Season With 5-2 Win in Reading - Trenton Devils
- Thunder settles for 3rd seed in Conference, heads into playoffs with 7-1-3 run - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Captures First Round Home Ice Advantage, Announces Playoff Schedule vs. Utah - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Win Brabham Cup With 4-1 Victory - Alaska Aces
- Royals Announce 2010-11 Reading Eagle Fan's Choice Awards - Reading Royals
- Victoria closes out 2010-11 campaign with 4-1 loss against Alaska - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condors win Division, begin Kelly Cup Playoffs in Victoria - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Edged in Regular Season Finale - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Closes Out Season With 6-4 Loss To Idaho - Ontario Reign
- Royals to Face Cincinnati Cyclones in Eastern Conference Quarter-Finals - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Host Stockton Tuesday, Wednesday To Open Playoffs - Utah Grizzlies
- Idaho closes regular season with 6-4 victory - Idaho Steelheads
- J.P. Lamoureux Leads Utah To 2-1 Shootout Win In Return - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Downed by Devils, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Condors fall in shootout 2-1, win Pacific Division - Bakersfield Condors
- Kalamazoo Closes Regular Season with 4-1 Win Over Elmira - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo Announces Playoff Slogan and Round One Dates - Kalamazoo Wings
- South Carolina Stingrays Playoff Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- $5 tickets on sale now for first round matchup between Victoria and Bakersfield - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.