Wranglers Edged in Regular Season Finale
Las Vegas, Nev.- The Las Vegas Wranglers (38-29-5) were defeated by the Stockton Thunder (37-23-12), 4-3 in front of 6,122 at the Orleans Arena. Wrangler Tyler Mosienko had a goal and an assist in the loss. Billy Sauer got the loss stopping 27 of 31 Stockton shots and now drops to 0-3-1 with Las Vegas. Jordan Bendfeld had the game winning goal to go along with an assist in the win for the Thunder. Tyson Sexsmith turned aside 36 of the Wranglers' 39 shots to improve to 10-3-1.
Stockton scored first when Jarrett Konkle scored his 17th goal of the season. Bendfeld and Jordan Foreman got the assists at 3:32 of the first period. Craig Valette made it 2-0 with a shot handed goal at 6:45 of the period. Konkle earned the only assist on Valette's 9th goal of the campaign. Just 15-seconds later though, the Wranglers got a goal from Chris Francis at 7:00 of the first. Colin Reddin and Rob Smith got the assists on the rookie's 6th goal of the year. Stockton led 2-1 at the end of the one period.
In the second period, former Wrangler Kelly Czuy extended the lead to 3-1 with his 4th goal of the year. Jason Pitton notched the only assist at 8:31 of the second period. Jordan Bendfeld then made it 4-1 with his 3rd goal of the season, an unassisted tally at 8:31 of the period. Late in the period, Wrangler Justin Bernhardt tapped in a great cross ice pass from Ryan Huddy to make it a 2-goal game with his 6th goal of the year. Huddy and Mosienko each earned assists on the goal at 19:17 of the middle frame. Las Vegas trailed going into the 3rd period, 4-2.
The Wranglers battled back in the 3rd period with a goal from Tyler Mosienko. He blasted a wrist shot past Sexsmith to score his 15th goal of the year and 100th professional goal of his career. Kevin Schaeffer and Blair Riley each got assists on the goal at 13:01 of the final period. That was the closet Las Vegas would get though as the Wranglers lost to Stockton, 4-3.
Las Vegas now prepares for the Kelly Cup Playoffs. The Wranglers are the #4 seed in the Western Conference and will host the #5 seed Idaho Steelheads for the first two-games of a best-of-five series. Game 1 is Tuesday night with Game 2 on Wednesday evening. Both games will be at the Orleans Arena starting at 7:05pm. Game 3 will be in Boise Friday. If necessary, Game 4 will be in Boise on Saturday. Game 5 will return to Las Vegas that following Tuesday, April 12th, if needed.
The Las Vegas Wranglers® are the ECHL affiliate to the National Hockey League's Phoenix Coyotes and the American Hockey League's San Antonio Rampage.
2011 Kelly Cup Playoff tickets are on sale now at (702) 471-PUCK. The Wranglers play all 36 regular season home games at the Orleans Arena, located adjacent to the Orleans Hotel and Casino at 4500 W. Tropicana Avenue.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2011
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Nailers Single Game Playoff Tickets on Sale Monday - Wheeling Nailers
- Playoffs Open Tuesday in Utah: First Round Playoff Preview - Utah Grizzlies
- Holtby Named the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces Schedule for Conference Quarterfinals of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - ECHL
- Alaska Wins Brabham Cup - ECHL
- Jackals Head to Playoffs Following 4-1 Loss to K-Wings - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Finish Season With 5-2 Win in Reading - Trenton Devils
- Thunder settles for 3rd seed in Conference, heads into playoffs with 7-1-3 run - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Captures First Round Home Ice Advantage, Announces Playoff Schedule vs. Utah - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Win Brabham Cup With 4-1 Victory - Alaska Aces
- Royals Announce 2010-11 Reading Eagle Fan's Choice Awards - Reading Royals
- Victoria closes out 2010-11 campaign with 4-1 loss against Alaska - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condors win Division, begin Kelly Cup Playoffs in Victoria - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Edged in Regular Season Finale - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Closes Out Season With 6-4 Loss To Idaho - Ontario Reign
- Royals to Face Cincinnati Cyclones in Eastern Conference Quarter-Finals - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Host Stockton Tuesday, Wednesday To Open Playoffs - Utah Grizzlies
- Idaho closes regular season with 6-4 victory - Idaho Steelheads
- J.P. Lamoureux Leads Utah To 2-1 Shootout Win In Return - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Downed by Devils, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Condors fall in shootout 2-1, win Pacific Division - Bakersfield Condors
- Kalamazoo Closes Regular Season with 4-1 Win Over Elmira - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo Announces Playoff Slogan and Round One Dates - Kalamazoo Wings
- South Carolina Stingrays Playoff Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- $5 tickets on sale now for first round matchup between Victoria and Bakersfield - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Wranglers Stories
- Las Vegas Wranglers to Return to the Ice for 2015-16 Season
- Wranglers' Season Comes to Close with 3-2 Game Four Loss to Aces
- Wranglers Fall in Game Three at Home to Alaska, 5-1
- Wranglers Fall to Aces in Game Two Nail-Biter, 3-1
- Wranglers Dropped by Aces in Game One, 5-1