Wranglers Fall to Aces in Game Two Nail-Biter, 3-1
Anchorage, Alaska. - The Las Vegas Wranglers fell 3-1 in game two of their opening round best-of-seven series with the Alaska Aces on Saturday night. The victory gave Alaska a 2-0 lead in the series, thanks to a pair of goals from defenseman John Ramage, including a game-clinching empty-netter with just 1.8 seconds to go. Wranglers' goaltender Travis Fullerton made 34 saves in the defeat before being pulled in the final minute for an extra attacker with the Aces on top 2-1. The series will now shift to Las Vegas for game three on Wednesday, April 23, at 7:05pm.
Las Vegas would strike first in this one as Shawn Skelly opened the scoring against his former team with his first of the postseason, putting the Wranglers on top 1-0 14:13 into the opening frame. The Aces would answer quickly, however, as just 2:39 later, defenseman Drew MacKenzie buried his second of the playoffs, a power-play score, to tie the game up 1-1.
Alaska would snag another man-advantage goal, this one coming off the stick of John Ramage, with just 24 seconds to go in the frame, giving the Aces a 2-1 advantage after the first 20 minutes of play.
That would prove to be all the scoring on the night, until with 1.8 seconds remaining Ramage iced the game with his second of the contest, this time on an empty net, putting Alaska on top 3-1. The score came after a flurry of offensive chances for the Wranglers, who pulled their goaltender with 55 seconds to go in favor of an extra forward.
Aces' net-minder Olivier Roy made 18 stops in the game, his first start of the postseason.
The teams will now make their way back to Las Vegas for games three through five on Wednesday, April 23, Friday April 25 and if necessary, Saturday, April 26. The winner of the series advances to the ECHL's Western Conference Semi-Finals, for a second round date with either the Colorado Eagles or Idaho Steelheads.
Las Vegas Wranglers 2013-14 playoff tickets are on sale now! With five different options for groups of 10 or more, a Wranglers playoff game is the perfect way to celebrate with friends, host a unique corporate outing, or fundraise for your organization! Individual adult tickets start at $21 while youths are just $8, with special options for discounts on "Strip Tickets" for the entire postseason schedule! Groups of 10-plus can also save 35 percent off game-day ticket prices, and luxury packages start at just $300 with food and drink options available. For more information, contact the Wranglers front office at (702) 471-7825 or visit wranglers.co . Don't forget to find the Wranglers on Facebook and follow @WranglersLV on Twitter for the latest updates!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 20, 2014
- Orlando Drops Game 2 to Cincinnati 7-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Rout Solar Bears, 7-3 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Cincinnati Cyclones - April 20 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 20 - ECHL
- Cyclones Playoff Game Preview - Cincinnati at Orlando - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Today - April 20 - ECHL
- Defensemen finish all three Aces goals for 2-0 series lead - Alaska Aces
- Jeremy LangloisÃ¢ÂÂ Hat Trick Powers Thunder to 2-0 Series Lead - Stockton Thunder
- Wranglers Fall to Aces in Game Two Nail-Biter, 3-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Reign Rally But Fall 5-3 to Thunder - Ontario Reign
- Grizzlies Beat Bakersfield 2-1 to Even Series at One - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Wranglers Stories
- Las Vegas Wranglers to Return to the Ice for 2015-16 Season
- Wranglers' Season Comes to Close with 3-2 Game Four Loss to Aces
- Wranglers Fall in Game Three at Home to Alaska, 5-1
- Wranglers Fall to Aces in Game Two Nail-Biter, 3-1
- Wranglers Dropped by Aces in Game One, 5-1