Kalamazoo Closes Regular Season with 4-1 Win Over Elmira
Kalamazoo, MI- The Kalamazoo Wings benefitted from the return of Brandon Svendsen, who had been playing with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers since mid-November, riding his 3 points (1goal, 2 assists) en route to a 4-1 victory over the visiting Elmira Jackals on Fan Appreciation Night.
Wanting to have momentum heading into the playoffs, Kalamazoo wasted no time getting started in the opening period. Playing in his first game since early November for the K-Wings, Svendsen continued his eight game point streak after a mere four-month layoff from his last points in the Kalamazoo sweater. His drop-pass found the stick of Kory Karlander who scored his 34th of the season with the quick wrist-shot past the Elmira goaltender, Jared DeMichiel.
Using their first power-play opportunity, the K-Wings capitalized yet again. This time it was Sam Ftorek (9th), using his blast of a slap shot to squeak the puck past DeMichiel. The man-advantage tally put Kalamazoo up 2-0 after twenty minutes of play.
Elmira would get themselves on the board during the second stanza of action, as Yannick Tifu (28th), extended his team scoring lead, while bringing his Jackals to within one.
Seven minutes later, the K-Wings countered. Using a power-play opportunity, Steven Tarasuk received a pass from Justin Taylor along the right wing side, and ripped a slap shot past DeMichiel to re-establish the two-goal lead for Kalamazoo.
The K-Wings found twine one more time in the second period. It was Svendsen who shot a top-corner-finding slapper that made the game 4-1 in favor of Kalamazoo. Assisting on the goal was Karlander, who with that assist, racked up his 500th career helper of his career.
There was no scoring from either team in the third period, as the K-Wings kept their lead they built in the first forty minutes.
Kalamazoo will be the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals this Tuesday, April 5th with a 7:35 p.m. against the Florida Everblades at the Germain Arena.
The K-Wings will return home this Friday, April 8th with a 7:30 p.m. face-off in game three of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.
Catch all the K-Wings games, home and away, on the K-Wings Radio Network (95.9 FM WLKM & on kwings.com). Join the "Voice of the K-Wings" Mike Modugno for all 72 regular season games plus the playoffs. Pre-game coverage begins with the Kalsee Credit Union Pre-Game Show 15 minutes prior to face-off. For the most complete coverage of the K-Wings from the opening face-off to the final buzzer and the Discover Kalamazoo Post-Game Show, keep your radio tuned this season to the K-Wings Radio Network.
Single game tickets for tomorrow night's game, the first round of the Kelly Cup Playoffs and 2011-12 Season Tickets are on are on sale at the Wings Stadium Ticket Office, Ticketmaster Outlets, including www.ticketmaster.com, Ticket Office hours are Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m. For more information, please call Wings Stadium Ticket Office during regular business hours at (269) 345-5101.
Tickets for all K-Wings first round playoff home games are on sale now and range in price from $12.90-$17.90 for adults and only $9.90 for kids ages 12 and under.
Fans can save money by purchasing K-Wings single game tickets advance because on the day of a game, K-Wings tickets are $1 more.
For more information about tonight's game, please contact Mike Modugno, director of public relations and broadcaster at (269) 349-9772, extension 220.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2011
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Nailers Single Game Playoff Tickets on Sale Monday - Wheeling Nailers
- Playoffs Open Tuesday in Utah: First Round Playoff Preview - Utah Grizzlies
- Holtby Named the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces Schedule for Conference Quarterfinals of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - ECHL
- Alaska Wins Brabham Cup - ECHL
- Jackals Head to Playoffs Following 4-1 Loss to K-Wings - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Finish Season With 5-2 Win in Reading - Trenton Devils
- Thunder settles for 3rd seed in Conference, heads into playoffs with 7-1-3 run - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Captures First Round Home Ice Advantage, Announces Playoff Schedule vs. Utah - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Win Brabham Cup With 4-1 Victory - Alaska Aces
- Royals Announce 2010-11 Reading Eagle Fan's Choice Awards - Reading Royals
- Victoria closes out 2010-11 campaign with 4-1 loss against Alaska - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condors win Division, begin Kelly Cup Playoffs in Victoria - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Edged in Regular Season Finale - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Closes Out Season With 6-4 Loss To Idaho - Ontario Reign
- Royals to Face Cincinnati Cyclones in Eastern Conference Quarter-Finals - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Host Stockton Tuesday, Wednesday To Open Playoffs - Utah Grizzlies
- Idaho closes regular season with 6-4 victory - Idaho Steelheads
- J.P. Lamoureux Leads Utah To 2-1 Shootout Win In Return - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Downed by Devils, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Condors fall in shootout 2-1, win Pacific Division - Bakersfield Condors
- Kalamazoo Closes Regular Season with 4-1 Win Over Elmira - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo Announces Playoff Slogan and Round One Dates - Kalamazoo Wings
- South Carolina Stingrays Playoff Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- $5 tickets on sale now for first round matchup between Victoria and Bakersfield - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.