Aces Win Brabham Cup With 4-1 Victory
The Alaska Aces started quickly and never trailed in a 4-1 win over the Victoria Salmon Kings at Save on Foods Memorial Centre on Saturday night to clinch their second Brabham Cup regular-season title in franchise history. The Aces finished the season with seven wins in their last eight games, and 14 wins in their final 16 games to clinch the league's best record, topping the Greenville Road Warriors by one point on the last night of the season. Alaska finished the season with a 47-22-3 record for 97 points in 72 games. The Aces will now receive an opening-round playoff bye, before returning home on Friday, April 15th and Saturday, April 16th for Home Games A & B of the Western Conference Semifinals against either the Las Vegas Wranglers or Idaho Steelheads. For more information, and the latest promotional news and updates, fans can visit the Aces at their Facebook page for more information, or call the Aces at 907.258.ACES.
The Aces turned things around and jumped on the Salmon Kings early with a pair of goals to open the game. Ethan Cox scored on the opening shift, 16 seconds into the game to make it 1-0 Alaska. The Aces added to their lead when Wes Goldie scored his league-leading, 46th goal of the year with a slapshot on a two-man advantage. Victoria got on the board with a Chad Painchaud shorthanded goal from the left circle at 16:44 of the first period. Alaska outshot Victoria 15-8 in the frame.
Dan Kissel got the only goal of the second period when Scott Howes found him in the right circle with a cross-ice pass, and Kissel buried it for his 20th of the year at 9:28. Alaska outshot Victoria 12-8 in the period, and took a 3-1 lead into the final period.
The Aces sealed the victory when Cox scored his second of the night on a redirection of a Brandon Gentile shot at 12:15 to complete the scoring. Wes Goldie's 46 goals earned him the goal scoring title, and Gerald Coleman finished the season tied for the most wins at 30. He became the third goaltender in Aces history to have a 30-win season.
Gerald Coleman (30-15-1) earned the win, making 25 saves on 26 shots. Jimmy Spratt (8-5-1) took the loss, making 33 saves on 37 shots in his second straight start in place of the injured David Shantz. The Aces went 1-5 on the power play, while the Salmon Kings went 0-2. The Aces outshot the Kings 37-26 in the game.
The Aces will now receive an opening-round playoff bye, before returning home on Friday, April 15th and Saturday, April 16th for Home Games A & B of the Western Conference Semifinals against either the Las Vegas Wranglers or Idaho Steelheads. Playoff tickets are on sale now at the Aces office, online at www.ticketmaster.com, at the Sullivan Arena, or at Fred Meyer stores. For the most up-to-date team and promotional information, please visit the Aces on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/#!/alaskaaceshockey. Fans can also call the Aces office at 907.258.ACES.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2011
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Nailers Single Game Playoff Tickets on Sale Monday - Wheeling Nailers
- Playoffs Open Tuesday in Utah: First Round Playoff Preview - Utah Grizzlies
- Holtby Named the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces Schedule for Conference Quarterfinals of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - ECHL
- Alaska Wins Brabham Cup - ECHL
- Jackals Head to Playoffs Following 4-1 Loss to K-Wings - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Finish Season With 5-2 Win in Reading - Trenton Devils
- Thunder settles for 3rd seed in Conference, heads into playoffs with 7-1-3 run - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Captures First Round Home Ice Advantage, Announces Playoff Schedule vs. Utah - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Win Brabham Cup With 4-1 Victory - Alaska Aces
- Royals Announce 2010-11 Reading Eagle Fan's Choice Awards - Reading Royals
- Victoria closes out 2010-11 campaign with 4-1 loss against Alaska - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condors win Division, begin Kelly Cup Playoffs in Victoria - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Edged in Regular Season Finale - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Closes Out Season With 6-4 Loss To Idaho - Ontario Reign
- Royals to Face Cincinnati Cyclones in Eastern Conference Quarter-Finals - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Host Stockton Tuesday, Wednesday To Open Playoffs - Utah Grizzlies
- Idaho closes regular season with 6-4 victory - Idaho Steelheads
- J.P. Lamoureux Leads Utah To 2-1 Shootout Win In Return - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Downed by Devils, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Condors fall in shootout 2-1, win Pacific Division - Bakersfield Condors
- Kalamazoo Closes Regular Season with 4-1 Win Over Elmira - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo Announces Playoff Slogan and Round One Dates - Kalamazoo Wings
- South Carolina Stingrays Playoff Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- $5 tickets on sale now for first round matchup between Victoria and Bakersfield - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.