Royals Downed by Devils, 5-2
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals of the ECHL (1st Atlantic Division, 44-23-2-3=93), affiliate of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins of the National Hockey League and the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League, were defeated by the Trenton Devils (4th North Division, 27-37-2-6=62), 5-2, at Sovereign Center in Reading, Pennsylvania. The loss snapped a four game win streak for the Royals and ended the team's record setting regular season on a sour note in front of a sellout crowd on Fan Appreciation Night. With the loss, the Royals ended the regular season in second place in the Eastern Conference and will face the seventh seed, the Cincinnati Cyclones, in the best-of-five Eastern Conference Quarter-Final series starting next Tuesday (April 5) at Sovereign Center in Reading.
Royals Goaltender Darren Machesney (loss, 5-16-0-0, 34/38, 1 eng) dropped to 3-4-0-0 in seven appearances with the Royals this year. Trenton's Jeff Lerg (win, 13-12-0-1, 31/33) won for the third time against the Royals (3-3-0-0). Reading's power play was unable to break through in five opportunities, including three in the third period when the team was down by three and attempting to muster a comeback. The Devils scored their first goal of the night while playing with the man advantage (1-3).
Trenton struck early while playing on a four-on-three power play. Brad Miller set up in the high slot and cranked a blistering shot that went 'around-the-horn' (right pipe-cross bar-left pipe and in) for his eighth of the year 3:35 into the game. Reading bounced back fifty-three seconds later, when Ryan Cruthers carried deep down the right side, out-waited goaltender Lerg who committed down to right side. Cruthers slid the puck back into the low slot, where a waiting Yannick Riendeau fired it in for his eighteenth of the year. 9:03 into the first, the Devils re-took the lead when J. S. Berube flew through the neutral zone blowing by the Reading defenders as he took a pass on the fly from Ryan Hayes. Berube charged directly to the Royals' net and drilled a perfect shot stick-side high for his twelfth of the year.
4:00 into the second, Trenton extended their lead to 3-1 when a Reading defender activated at the right point and got caught when the Devils chipped out of their defensive end and into the neutral zone, allowing Matt Germain to take off on a break. Germain outmuscled the Royals' defender to a spot deep in the offensive zone where Machesney came out to meet him. Germain was able to quickly stick-handle around Machesney and stuff it in for his third of the year. 15:04 into the second, the Devils made it 4-1 after a wild scramble around the Royals' net that spun Machesney around and ended when Jeff Prough jammed it in from the right side of the crease for his twenty-fifth of they year.
After muddling through most of the third, Reading gave the big crowd at the Sovereign Center some hope when Olivier Labelle, who was planted in the low slot, re-directed a slap pass from Sam Roberts up and over Lerg for Labelle's twenty-first of the year. But that would be it for Reading, and Trenton's Tony Zancanaro bagged an empty-netter with fifteen seconds left to end all doubt about the way this one was going to end.
The Royals kick off the Kelly Cup Playoffs with Game One of the best-of-five Eastern Conference Quarter-Final series against the Cincinnati Cyclones on Tuesday, April 5 @ 7:05 pm at the Sovereign Center. The game night broadcast will kick off with the pre-game warm-up show presented by The Works at Wyomissing at 6:35 pm on WRAW 1340 am and on the internet at www.1340wraw.com. You can also catch all of the Royals away games this season on Royals TV exclusively on BCTV courtesy of Boscov's Travel, and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. Season tickets for the Royals' 2010-11 season are currently available. To become a part of Royals hockey, call 610-898-PUCK or log onto www.royalshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2011
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Nailers Single Game Playoff Tickets on Sale Monday - Wheeling Nailers
- Playoffs Open Tuesday in Utah: First Round Playoff Preview - Utah Grizzlies
- Holtby Named the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces Schedule for Conference Quarterfinals of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - ECHL
- Alaska Wins Brabham Cup - ECHL
- Jackals Head to Playoffs Following 4-1 Loss to K-Wings - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Finish Season With 5-2 Win in Reading - Trenton Devils
- Thunder settles for 3rd seed in Conference, heads into playoffs with 7-1-3 run - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Captures First Round Home Ice Advantage, Announces Playoff Schedule vs. Utah - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Win Brabham Cup With 4-1 Victory - Alaska Aces
- Royals Announce 2010-11 Reading Eagle Fan's Choice Awards - Reading Royals
- Victoria closes out 2010-11 campaign with 4-1 loss against Alaska - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condors win Division, begin Kelly Cup Playoffs in Victoria - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Edged in Regular Season Finale - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Closes Out Season With 6-4 Loss To Idaho - Ontario Reign
- Royals to Face Cincinnati Cyclones in Eastern Conference Quarter-Finals - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Host Stockton Tuesday, Wednesday To Open Playoffs - Utah Grizzlies
- Idaho closes regular season with 6-4 victory - Idaho Steelheads
- J.P. Lamoureux Leads Utah To 2-1 Shootout Win In Return - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Downed by Devils, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Condors fall in shootout 2-1, win Pacific Division - Bakersfield Condors
- Kalamazoo Closes Regular Season with 4-1 Win Over Elmira - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo Announces Playoff Slogan and Round One Dates - Kalamazoo Wings
- South Carolina Stingrays Playoff Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- $5 tickets on sale now for first round matchup between Victoria and Bakersfield - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return
- Royals Make Important Signing in Talented, Two-Way Forward Scarfo
- Suter Agrees to ECHL Deal, Royals Forward Group Coming into Focus
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Reading Puts Final Touches on Deal with G Ruck