Thunder Captures First Round Home Ice Advantage, Announces Playoff Schedule vs. Utah
STOCKTON, Calif. - The Stockton Thunder has earned the #3 seed in the Western Conference and will open the 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs against the #6 seed Utah Grizzlies in a best-of-five series (2-3 format), beginning with Game 1 of the Western Conference Quarterfinal round on Tuesday, Apr. 5 at 6:05 p.m. from Maverik Center in West Valley City, Utah.
Ticket strip packages for the 2011 Thunder playoffs presented by Golden Bear Insurance Company are now on sale and can be purchased by calling the Stockton Thunder at (209) 373-1500. Individual playoff tickets for all home games at Stockton Arena will go on sale Monday at 10:00 a.m., available in person at the Stockton Arena ticket office, by phone at (209) 373-1700 or online at www.StocktonTickets.com.
The Thunder, who ranked second in the ECHL this season with their largest attendance turnout since 2007-08 with an average of 6,382 fans per game, also finished second in the Pacific Division, tying a franchise record with 86 points and a 37-23-12 record.
It is the first time ever Stockton and Utah will meet in the Kelly Cup Playoffs and this year's appearance marks the fifth straight Kelly Cup Playoff berth in Thunder history. Last season, the Thunder advanced to the Conference Finals for the first time, defeated by Idaho, 4-2 in a best-of-seven series. Listed below is the head-to-head schedule, following a "2-3" format:
STOCKTON VS. UTAH - WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTERFINALS Game 1: Stockton at Utah - Tuesday, April 5 - 6:05 p.m. (Maverik Center) Game 2: Stockton at Utah - Wednesday, April 6 - 6:05 p.m. (Maverik Center) Game 3: Utah at Stockton - Saturday, April 9 - 7:30 p.m. (Stockton Arena) Game 4: Utah at Stockton - Sunday, April 10 - 4:00 p.m. (Stockton Arena) * Game 5: Utah at Stockton - Tuesday, April 12 - 7:00 p.m. (Stockton Arena) * * If necessary
Current Thunder season ticket holders receive tickets to the first two rounds of the Kelly Cup Playoffs in their ticket package. Fans wishing to get priority seating on playoff tickets can do so by placing a deposit on new Thunder season tickets for the 2011-12 season.
A proud affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers and San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League, the Thunder was voted "Best Local Sports Team" by readers of the San Joaquin Magazine for the third straight year, led the ECHL in attendance for four consecutive seasons and drew over 200,000 fans for the sixth consecutive season in 2010-11. Season tickets for 2011-12 are on sale now. For more information about tickets, merchandise, or other inquiries contact the Stockton Thunder offices at (209) 373-1500 or visit http://www.stocktonthunder.com/.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2011
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Nailers Single Game Playoff Tickets on Sale Monday - Wheeling Nailers
- Playoffs Open Tuesday in Utah: First Round Playoff Preview - Utah Grizzlies
- Holtby Named the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces Schedule for Conference Quarterfinals of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - ECHL
- Alaska Wins Brabham Cup - ECHL
- Jackals Head to Playoffs Following 4-1 Loss to K-Wings - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Finish Season With 5-2 Win in Reading - Trenton Devils
- Thunder settles for 3rd seed in Conference, heads into playoffs with 7-1-3 run - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Captures First Round Home Ice Advantage, Announces Playoff Schedule vs. Utah - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Win Brabham Cup With 4-1 Victory - Alaska Aces
- Royals Announce 2010-11 Reading Eagle Fan's Choice Awards - Reading Royals
- Victoria closes out 2010-11 campaign with 4-1 loss against Alaska - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condors win Division, begin Kelly Cup Playoffs in Victoria - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Edged in Regular Season Finale - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Closes Out Season With 6-4 Loss To Idaho - Ontario Reign
- Royals to Face Cincinnati Cyclones in Eastern Conference Quarter-Finals - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Host Stockton Tuesday, Wednesday To Open Playoffs - Utah Grizzlies
- Idaho closes regular season with 6-4 victory - Idaho Steelheads
- J.P. Lamoureux Leads Utah To 2-1 Shootout Win In Return - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Downed by Devils, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Condors fall in shootout 2-1, win Pacific Division - Bakersfield Condors
- Kalamazoo Closes Regular Season with 4-1 Win Over Elmira - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo Announces Playoff Slogan and Round One Dates - Kalamazoo Wings
- South Carolina Stingrays Playoff Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- $5 tickets on sale now for first round matchup between Victoria and Bakersfield - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Thunder Stories
- Final Weather Report: All the News and Notes from the Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Announce End of the Year Equipment Sale
- Thunder Win Final ECHL Game in front of Sold Out Crowd
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m.
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls