Holtby Named the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month
April 3, 2011 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J.- Former ECHL and current Washington Capitals goaltender BradenâHoltby is The MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month for March.
The leading distributor of game- worn hockey jerseys and "Official Game-Worn Jersey Source of the ECHL," MeiGray sold more than 700 game-worn jerseys in 2009-10 and has sold more than 5,500 since it became "The Official Game- Worn Jersey Source of the ECHL" in 2002-03.
The 21 year old was 6-0-0 with two shutouts, a 1.03 goals against average and a save percentage of .962 in six appearances for the Capitals during March. Holtby opened the month with 21 saves in a 2-1 shootout win against Tampa Bay on March 7 and then recorded his first NHL shutout two nights later with 22 saves in a 5-0 victory against Edmonton. He made a season-high 40 saves in a 2-1 win over Carolina on March 11 and closed the month with his second shutout, making 18 saves in a 2-0 victory against Montreal on March 26.
Holtby is 10-2-2 in 14 appearances for the Capitals this season with a 1.79 goals-against average and a save percentage of .934. He also has seen action in 26 games withâHershey of the AmericanâHockey League going 14-9-2 with five shutouts, a 2.17 goals-against average and a save percentage of .923.
The Lloydminster, Saskatchewan native played in 12 games with the SouthâCarolina Stingrays in 2009-10 posting a 7-2-3 record with a goals against average of 2.95 and a save percentage of .911 and also participated in the 2010âECHLâAll-Star Game in Ontario.
Selected in the fourth round (93rd overall) by Washington in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Holtby appeared in 37 regular-season games with Hershey in 2009-10 going 25-8-2 with two shutouts, a 2.32 goals-against average and a save percentage of .917.
There have been 465 players who have played in the NHL after playing in the ECHL including 22 this season and 35 in 2009-10. The ECHL has had 273 players reach the NHL since 2002-03 when it changed its focus to become the primary developmental league for the NHL and the AHL. The ECHL had 97 players reach the NHL in its first 10 seasons and 215 in the first 15 years. There have been 209 ECHL players who have played their first game in the last six seasons for an average of more than 34 per year.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2011
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Nailers Single Game Playoff Tickets on Sale Monday - Wheeling Nailers
- Playoffs Open Tuesday in Utah: First Round Playoff Preview - Utah Grizzlies
- Holtby Named the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Stingrays Face Nailers in Opening Round of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces Schedule for Conference Quarterfinals of 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs - ECHL
- Alaska Wins Brabham Cup - ECHL
- Jackals Head to Playoffs Following 4-1 Loss to K-Wings - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Finish Season With 5-2 Win in Reading - Trenton Devils
- Thunder settles for 3rd seed in Conference, heads into playoffs with 7-1-3 run - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Captures First Round Home Ice Advantage, Announces Playoff Schedule vs. Utah - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Win Brabham Cup With 4-1 Victory - Alaska Aces
- Royals Announce 2010-11 Reading Eagle Fan's Choice Awards - Reading Royals
- Victoria closes out 2010-11 campaign with 4-1 loss against Alaska - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condors win Division, begin Kelly Cup Playoffs in Victoria - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Edged in Regular Season Finale - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Closes Out Season With 6-4 Loss To Idaho - Ontario Reign
- Royals to Face Cincinnati Cyclones in Eastern Conference Quarter-Finals - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Host Stockton Tuesday, Wednesday To Open Playoffs - Utah Grizzlies
- Idaho closes regular season with 6-4 victory - Idaho Steelheads
- J.P. Lamoureux Leads Utah To 2-1 Shootout Win In Return - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Downed by Devils, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Condors fall in shootout 2-1, win Pacific Division - Bakersfield Condors
- Kalamazoo Closes Regular Season with 4-1 Win Over Elmira - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo Announces Playoff Slogan and Round One Dates - Kalamazoo Wings
- South Carolina Stingrays Playoff Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- $5 tickets on sale now for first round matchup between Victoria and Bakersfield - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.