Aces Again Outshoot Rush, Fall 5-2 Saturday
ANCHORAGE, ALASKA - After firing 50 shots on the Rapid City net Friday, the Alaska Aces got 45 more Saturday, but Luke Siemens repelled all but two as the Rush knocked off the Aces 5-2 at the Sullivan Arena.
The fourth-place Aces loss, along with wins by Missouri and Utah Saturday pulls the Mavericks into a tie with Alaska, and the Grizzlies are one point back in the race for the final Mountain Division playoff spot.
No scoring in the first period.
Shots after one favored Alaska 18-5.
In the second period, Rapid City opened the scoring at 1:36 on a goal by Geoff Fortman, his first of the season. Assists to Ryan Walters and Christian Horn.
The Aces tied the game at the 6:55 mark. Danny Moynihan zipped a wrister from the top of the right circle into the net for his 21st goal of the season off passes from Tommy Olczyk and Ben Lake.
The Rush would regain the lead at 14:19 as Mike Monfredo beat Aces netminder Kevin Carr.
Shots after two: 29-17 Aces.
Alaska continued to outshoot Rapid City badly in the third period, but it was Marcus Ortiz getting the game-winning goal at 10:18 unassisted.
After Pavel Laplante trimmed the RC lead to 3-2 at 17:07 on the power play, Anchorage native Hunter Fejes sealed the deal with goals at 18:52 and 19:59, the latter coming as Fejes was pulled down on his way to an empty net.
Final shots were 45-22 Alaska.
The Aces were 1-5 on the power play, Rapid City 0-4.
Alaska and Rapid City will play again Sunday 3:05pm at the Sullivan Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 26, 2017
- Kilar Wins Pro Debut as Admirals Upset Walleye - Norfolk Admirals
- Hildebrand Makes 43 Saves to Hold off Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Reading Royals Transactions: Flanagan (D) and Mann (D) Released from ATOs - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Brampton Beast - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Paws and Pucks Converge at First Arena - Elmira Jackals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Aces Again Outshoot Rush, Fall 5-2 Saturday - Alaska Aces
- Rush Win Second against Aces - Rapid City Rush
- Faragher Stops 41 Shots as Grizzlies Top Eagles, 4-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Two-Goal Lead Slips Away in OT Loss at Missouri - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.