Two-Goal Lead Slips Away in OT Loss at Missouri
Independence, MO- Wichita couldn't hold onto a two-goal lead on Saturday night, losing in overtime at Missouri by the final of 3-2 at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Wichita falls to 5-3-3-0 in the Visit Wichita, Visit Independence Cup Series.
Macoy Erkamps and Louick Marcotte provided the Thunder offense in the losing effort.
Wichita scored twice just over two minutes apart in the first. Erkamps blasted a one-timer past Josh Robinson at 7:36 to make it 1-0. Marcotte took a face-off win from Darryl Lloyd and fired a shot past Robinson at 9:44 that made it 2-0. Eric Scheid got one back at 14:08 as he caught a pass off the rush and beat Drew Owsley with a wrist shot to make it 2-1.
In the second, Missouri capitalized on a power play as Matt Finn buried a one-timer from the right circle and evened the contest at two.
Wichita outshot the Mavericks 15-8 in the third period, but both goalies held firm and the game headed to overtime.
Alex Brooks scored the game-winner at 3:24 as he skated across the red line, came in on his backhand and beat Owsley with a shot near the net.
Wichita and Missouri have played four-straight overtime games in the season-series at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Marcotte netted his 15th of the year and needs one more to reach his rookie totals from a year ago in Adirondack. Erkamps recorded his sixth of the season. Darryl Lloyd added two assists.
Owsley suffers the overtime loss, stopping 25 of 28 shots. Robinson grabs the win, stopping 39 of 41 shots he faced.
Wichita went 1-for-3 on the power play. Missouri was 1-for-4 on the man advantage.
The Thunder finishes their three-in-three tomorrow afternoon at 4:05 against Quad City.
Individual tickets for all Thunder home games are now on sale. Tickets can be purchased at the INTRUST Arena Box office, by calling 855-755-SEAT or go online at www.selectaseat.com.
Contact a Thunder representative at the office today to learn more about our great season, group and other ticket package opportunities!
Follow along with us on our social media platforms on Facebook, Twitter (@wichita_thunder), Snapchat (wichthunder), Instagram (Wichita_Thunder) and LinkedIn, presented by Wichita Brewing Company.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 26, 2017
- Kilar Wins Pro Debut as Admirals Upset Walleye - Norfolk Admirals
- Hildebrand Makes 43 Saves to Hold off Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Reading Royals Transactions: Flanagan (D) and Mann (D) Released from ATOs - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Brampton Beast - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Paws and Pucks Converge at First Arena - Elmira Jackals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Aces Again Outshoot Rush, Fall 5-2 Saturday - Alaska Aces
- Rush Win Second against Aces - Rapid City Rush
- Faragher Stops 41 Shots as Grizzlies Top Eagles, 4-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Two-Goal Lead Slips Away in OT Loss at Missouri - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.