Islanders Host Checkers in Two Games this Weekend
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The Bridgeport Islanders (11-16-3-3) face the Charlotte Checkers (14-11-2-0) twice in as many days this weekend, featuring a Saturday-Sunday doubleheader at Webster Bank Arena. The two-game series kicks off tonight at 7 p.m. and finishes tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m. The Islanders are in search of their second straight victory following a thrilling, come-from-behind win on Wednesday against the Providence Bruins. Bridgeport battled back from a 2-0 deficit in the second period and a 3-2 deficit in the third to score its first win of 2022. Thomas Hickey, Cole Bardreau, Collin Adams (PP) and Richard Panik (GWG) all found the back of the net in the 4-3 final, while Jakub Skarek (8-8-3) made 28 saves.
LISTEN ON RADIO: www.bit.ly/IslesRadio
WATCH LIVE: www.ahltv.com
A DOUBLE DOSE OF BIG-TIME PROMOTIONS
The Bridgeport Islanders celebrate two of their biggest promotions of the season this weekend: "Military Appreciation Night" this evening and "Prince and Princess Night" on Sunday. The first 1,000 fans will receive an exclusive military-themed giveaway tonight, plus enjoy the 102D Army Band Brass Quintet and check out United States military vehicles on the concourse. On Sunday, take part in a fairy-tale costume contest, Disney Moon Bounce and more! Tickets for kids 11 and younger are just $10 at the Yale New Haven Health Box Office.
ISLANDERS VS. CHECKERS
Tonight's game is the fourth of eight meetings between the Islanders and Checkers this season, and the second of four in Connecticut. Bridgeport is 1-2-0-0 against Charlotte following a two-game split in North Carolina on Dec. 18-19. The Islanders scored three times in the first period and twice in the third to earn a 5-1 win on Dec. 18th, but Cole Bardreau had the only goal in a 3-1 setback on Dec. 19th. The Checkers defeated Bridgeport 3-2 at Webster Bank Arena on Dec. 5th when Grigori Denisenko scored a power-play goal with just 2:11 remaining.
VIEW FROM CHARLOTTE
The fifth-place Checkers return to action tonight following a 20-day layoff due to several postponements resulting from league Covid-19 protocols. They have not played since defeating Bridgeport 3-1 at home on Dec. 19th, which means Charlotte will end up facing the Islanders in four straight games following tomorrow's rematch. The Checkers are led offensively by forwards Cole Schwindt and Logan Hutsko (19 points in 27 games), while Schwindt and Scott Wilson are tied for the team lead in goals (nine). Joey Daccord (5-4-1) is fifth among all AHL netminders in goals-against-average (2.07).
PANIK AT THE DISCO
Richard Panik's fourth goal of the season and first since Dec. 4th came with just 1:52 remaining in the third period on Wednesday, propelling the Islanders to their first win of 2022. It was also their first win at home since Dec. 11th against Toronto. Three of Panik's four goals this season have turned out to be game winners, leading all Bridgeport players in that category. The veteran forward has four points (two goals, two assists) in his last six games and the Islanders are 3-1-0-0 when Panik scores a goal.
STREAKING IN JANUARY
Michael Dal Colle has points in four straight games for the first time this season, logging assists in each of his last two games and scoring in the previous two. Dal Colle has played just 11 AHL games this season, but has five goals and nine points over that span. Two of his five goals have come on the man advantage and he currently ranks third in points-per-game (0.82). In addition, Otto Koivula enters tonight's game with points/assists in three straight games. He has 10 points (three goals, seven assists) in his last nine outings and his 17 assists on the season are tied for 10th in the AHL.
Thomas Hickey played his 700th professional game between the NHL and AHL on Wednesday night and scored his first goal since Feb. 17, 2019... Simon Holmstrom is expected to play his 100th North American pro game tonight... He has 16 goals, 21 assists and 37 points in 99 AHL games... Chris Terry sat out Wednesday's game against Providence, but continues to lead the Islanders in goals (11) and points (26)... He is tied for eighth among all AHL players in scoring and tied for second in shots (101)... Jakub Skarek is third among all AHL goalies in minutes played (1166:11) and fourth in saves (542).
New York Islanders (10-12-6); Last: 3-2 OTW vs. Edmonton, Saturday, Jan. 1st -- Next: Jan. 13th vs. New Jersey, 7:30 p.m.
Worcester Railers (9-13-1-1); Last: 3-2 L at Reading, Friday -- Next: Tonight at Reading, 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2022
- Iowa Drops Saturday Night Contest in Chicago, 6-2 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Fall to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Start New Streak - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Extend Point Streak to Six Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Topple Checkers, 5-1 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Shepard, Bears Shut-Out Penguins, 3-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Defeat Amerks, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Shepard Sensational, Bears Blank Penguins 3-0 - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Knock off AHL Leading Comets 2-1 in Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Use Late Heroics to Topple Griffins in Overtime - Cleveland Monsters
- T-Birds Fall to Sens Under Controversial Circumstances - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Admirals Bitten by IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Suffer Rare Home Loss to Wolf Pack, Lose 2-1 - Utica Comets
- Checkers' Return Spoiled with 5-1 Loss to Islanders - Charlotte Checkers
- Canucks Sign Forward and Defenceman to PTO's - Abbotsford Canucks
- Moose Recall Defenceman Dean Stewart - Manitoba Moose
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Five - San Diego Gulls
- Rangers Recall Lauri Pajuniemi, Anthony Greco to Taxi Squad - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Iowa Wild Community Rink Program Expands to Altoona, Newton - Iowa Wild
- Dallas Stars Reassign Goaltender Adam Scheel to Taxi Squad - Texas Stars
- Checkers Sign Nick Albano and Blake Siebenaler to PTOs - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolf Pack Set to Clash with First Place Comets - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Millman and Ustimenko Reassigned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #24: Colorado at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Islanders Host Checkers in Two Games this Weekend - Bridgeport Islanders
- IceHogs Look to Continue High-Scoring Attack against Admirals Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Preview: January 8 at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Abby Earns Point But Falls to Condors in OT 4-3 - Abbotsford Canucks
- Dostal, Gulls Break through against Stockton - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Outdone by Knights 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Fall Friday in San Diego, 4-1 - Stockton Heat
- Henderson Dominates against San Jose in 5-1 Victory - Henderson Silver Knights
- Cormier, Moose Stop Stars - Manitoba Moose
- Stars Out-Chance Moose, But Fall Short in First Game Back from Break - Texas Stars
- Richard Lifts Ads to Overtime Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ruotsalainen Carries Amerks to 5-2 Win over Wolf Pack - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.