Checkers' Return Spoiled with 5-1 Loss to Islanders
BRIDGEPORT, CT - The Checkers returned to the ice for the first time in the new year on Saturday but couldn't keep up with the Islanders, falling to Bridgeport 5-1.
In their first game since Dec. 19, the Checkers locked up with their opponent for much of the first period, with both sides creating chances but neither team converting. It was the Islanders who were finally able to break the ice though, finding the back of the net late in the frame to put the home side ahead.
Bridgeport would ride that wave of momentum into the second, doubling their advantage early on in the period and then extending the lead to 3-0 before the second buzzer sounded.
The Checkers tilted the ice in their favor in the third, outshooting the Islanders 12-8 and breaking their scoring drought midway through with a Zac Dalpe power-play marker, but it wasn't enough to spark a rally.
The Islanders capitalized on Charlotte's use of an extra attacker late in regulation and then struck once more with a shorthanded tally in the waning moments to settle the final score at 5-1.
Notes The Checkers are now 2-2-0-0 against the Islanders this season ... Tonight was the second time in the last five games that the Checkers have allowed more than two goals ... The Checkers were perfect on the penalty kill for the third straight game and scored a power-play goal for the second straight game ... Cole Bardreau's third-period goal was the second shorthanded goal the Checkers have allowed this season ... Tonight was the first time in his last four appearances that Joey Daccord has allowed more than one goal ... Zac Dalpe scored his fifth power-play goal of the season, giving him the team lead and tying him for fifth in the AHL ... The Checkers are now 6-6-0-0 this season when allowing the first goal in a game ... The Checkers outshot their opponent for the eighth time in the last nine games ... Luke Henman recorded his first pro fight ... Logan Hutsko picked up his sixth assist in his last seven games ... Bobby Russell, Nick Albano and Blake Siebenaler made their Charlotte debuts
The Checkers and Islanders square off again tomorrow with a 3 p.m. matchup in Bridgeport.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2022
- Iowa Drops Saturday Night Contest in Chicago, 6-2 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Fall to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Start New Streak - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Extend Point Streak to Six Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Topple Checkers, 5-1 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Shepard, Bears Shut-Out Penguins, 3-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Defeat Amerks, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Shepard Sensational, Bears Blank Penguins 3-0 - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Knock off AHL Leading Comets 2-1 in Utica - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Use Late Heroics to Topple Griffins in Overtime - Cleveland Monsters
- T-Birds Fall to Sens Under Controversial Circumstances - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Admirals Bitten by IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Suffer Rare Home Loss to Wolf Pack, Lose 2-1 - Utica Comets
- Checkers' Return Spoiled with 5-1 Loss to Islanders - Charlotte Checkers
- Canucks Sign Forward and Defenceman to PTO's - Abbotsford Canucks
- Moose Recall Defenceman Dean Stewart - Manitoba Moose
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Five - San Diego Gulls
- Rangers Recall Lauri Pajuniemi, Anthony Greco to Taxi Squad - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Iowa Wild Community Rink Program Expands to Altoona, Newton - Iowa Wild
- Dallas Stars Reassign Goaltender Adam Scheel to Taxi Squad - Texas Stars
- Checkers Sign Nick Albano and Blake Siebenaler to PTOs - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolf Pack Set to Clash with First Place Comets - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Millman and Ustimenko Reassigned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #24: Colorado at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Islanders Host Checkers in Two Games this Weekend - Bridgeport Islanders
- IceHogs Look to Continue High-Scoring Attack against Admirals Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Preview: January 8 at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Abby Earns Point But Falls to Condors in OT 4-3 - Abbotsford Canucks
- Dostal, Gulls Break through against Stockton - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Outdone by Knights 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Fall Friday in San Diego, 4-1 - Stockton Heat
- Henderson Dominates against San Jose in 5-1 Victory - Henderson Silver Knights
- Cormier, Moose Stop Stars - Manitoba Moose
- Stars Out-Chance Moose, But Fall Short in First Game Back from Break - Texas Stars
- Richard Lifts Ads to Overtime Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ruotsalainen Carries Amerks to 5-2 Win over Wolf Pack - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Evan Fitzpatrick Assigned to Greenville, Checkers Release Craig Martin and Spencer Ashucak from PTOs
- Checkers Sign Jacob Friend and Jordan Sambrook to PTOs
- Kraken Recall Cale Fleury to Taxi Squad, Assign Antoine Bibeau to Charlotte
- Weekly Report: Billy's Big Week, Avoiding a Skid and More
- Checkers Fall Flat against Phantoms in Home Stand Finale