Iowa Wild Goaltender Andrew Hammond Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
DES MOINES, IOWA - The American Hockey League announced today that Iowa Wild goaltender Andrew Hammond has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending April 14, 2019. He joins fellow goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen as the Wild's recipients of the CCM/AHL Player of the Week award this season.
Hammond stopped 86 of the 90 shots he faced in three starts last week (3-0-0, 1.30, .956), helping the Wild secure the franchise's first-ever berth in the Calder Cup Playoffs.
As Iowa entered the final week of the regular season on an eight-game losing streak and in danger of letting a postseason trip slip away, Hammond made 38 saves - including 21 in the third period - on Wednesday night to backstop the Wild to a 7-3 victory at Grand Rapids. He stopped 23 shots in a 2-1 overtime victory against Chicago on Friday, and his 25-save shutout of Rockford on Saturday allowed the Wild to advance to the playoffs for the first time in their six-year history.
Hammond completed the 2018-19 regular season with a record of 19-12-2 in 33 appearances with Iowa, registering a 2.81 goals-against average, a .910 save percentage and three shutouts. The sixth-year pro from Surrey, B.C., has played 132 career AHL games with Iowa, San Antonio, Belleville and Binghamton, going 62-55-9 with a 3.03 GAA, a .905 save percentage and six shutouts. Hammond, who signed as a free agent with the Minnesota Wild on July 1, 2018, has made 56 career NHL appearances with Ottawa and Colorado (27-15-6, 2.31, .923).
In recognition of being named the CCM/AHL Player of the Week, Hammond will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Wild home game.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2019
- Week 28 Report: Hogs Hit 80 Points as Season Comes to Close - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Insider: the Battle Begins - Chicago Wolves
- San Diego Gulls to Host Drive to the Playoffs on Tuesday, April 16 at Pechanga Arena San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Announce Six Game Dates for 2019/20 Season - Stockton Heat
- Brad McClure Rejoins Idaho for Playoffs - Texas Stars
- Lukosevicius Joins Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Keith McCambridge Relieved of Coaching Duties with Hartford Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Riley Sutter Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Sabres, Bryson Agree to Entry-Level Deal - Rochester Americans
- Adventist Health Named Presenting Sponsor of 2019 Condors Playoffs - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolf Pack Weekly, April 15-21 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Mike Vellucci Named AHL's Outstanding Coach - Charlotte Checkers
- Charlotte's Mike Vellucci Wins AHL's Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award - AHL
- Monsters Playoff Schedule and Fan Information Announced - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Assign Five to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Iowa's Andrew Hammond Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Iowa Wild Goaltender Andrew Hammond Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Iowa Wild
- Moose Release Hunter Fejes - Manitoba Moose
- Blue Jackets Recall Center Zac Dalpe from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Comeback Stalls in Season Finale against Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- San Diego Gulls Lead AHL in Attendance Again - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Iowa Wild Captures Team's First Calder Cup Playoffs Win
- Iowa Wild Signs Three to Amateur Try-Out Agreements
- Iowa Wild Goaltender Andrew Hammond Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- Iowa Wild Announces First Round Playoff Schedule
- Iowa Wild Clinches First Playoff Berth in Franchise History