Comeback Stalls in Season Finale against Admirals
ROCKFORD, Ill. - Luke Johnson scored early in the third period for his career-high 31st point to bring the Rockford IceHogs within one goal, but the late rally was ultimately stifled in a 3-2 loss to the Milwaukee Admirals Sunday night at the BMO Harris Bank Center. Rockford capped its season with a throng of 5,664 fans in attendance for Fan Appreciation Night on Sunday.
Nick Moutrey helped set up Johnson's goal, firing a shot into Tom McCollum from the top of the crease. Johnson then collected the rebound and wristed the puck past McCollum as the netminder attempted to recover from Moutrey's initial shot attempt. The goal pulled the IceHogs within 3-2 and gave Johnson a career-best 31 points on the season.
The comeback stalled from there, however, as McCollum completed a 15-save effort to lock down the victory for Milwaukee.
Alexandre Fortin also tallied for the IceHogs in the defeat, cashing in on a great feed from Dylan McLaughlin right in front of the Admirals net midway through the first period.
The IceHogs capped the 2018-19 season at 35-31-4-6 and with 80 or more points for the ninth time in 12 seasons during the team's AHL affiliation.
Season Tickets for 2019-20 on Sale Now:
Don't miss a moment of the action next season. Reserve your seats for the IceHogs' 21st season of professional hockey in Rockford and 13th as the top AHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks. The IceHogs' home opener is set for Oct. 12 and ticket packages begin as low as $132 for an eight-game mini pack. Contact us at (815) 847-6399 or visit icehogs.com to claim your spots for this upcoming season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2019
- Week 28 Report: Hogs Hit 80 Points as Season Comes to Close - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Insider: the Battle Begins - Chicago Wolves
- San Diego Gulls to Host Drive to the Playoffs on Tuesday, April 16 at Pechanga Arena San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Announce Six Game Dates for 2019/20 Season - Stockton Heat
- Brad McClure Rejoins Idaho for Playoffs - Texas Stars
- Lukosevicius Joins Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Keith McCambridge Relieved of Coaching Duties with Hartford Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Riley Sutter Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Sabres, Bryson Agree to Entry-Level Deal - Rochester Americans
- Adventist Health Named Presenting Sponsor of 2019 Condors Playoffs - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolf Pack Weekly, April 15-21 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Mike Vellucci Named AHL's Outstanding Coach - Charlotte Checkers
- Charlotte's Mike Vellucci Wins AHL's Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award - AHL
- Monsters Playoff Schedule and Fan Information Announced - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Assign Five to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Iowa's Andrew Hammond Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Iowa Wild Goaltender Andrew Hammond Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Iowa Wild
- Moose Release Hunter Fejes - Manitoba Moose
- Blue Jackets Recall Center Zac Dalpe from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Comeback Stalls in Season Finale against Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- San Diego Gulls Lead AHL in Attendance Again - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.