Iowa Crushes Moose 8-1
The Manitoba Moose (0-2-0-0) and Iowa Wild (2-0-0-0) played their second game of the AHL's opening weekend Sunday afternoon in Des Moines, Iowa. The Wild got rolling 6:38 into the contest as Gerry Fitzgerald capitalized on a Moose turnover to give Iowa the lead. The Wild added to their advantage at the 14:14 mark courtesy of a Ryan Murphy power play goal. Manitoba cut into the deficit with two minutes left in the period, as Kristian Reichel tipped a Cameron Schilling pass to the back of the net. Reichel's tally left the score at 2-1 Wild after one period.
The Wild built their advantage in the second frame, scoring three times. Colton Beck made it 3-1 Iowa with a power play goal 5:18 into the period. Iowa struck for its third power play tally of the contest off the stick of Kyle Rau three minutes later. Beck added another marker with 2:12 to go in the period, firing a sharp angle shot to the twine to give Iowa a 5-1 lead going to the third.
Iowa kept the offence coming in the final frame. Mike Liambas redirected a Hunter Warner pass by Ken Appleby 6:06 into the period. With six minutes to go, Gerald Mayhew was sent on a breakaway out the penalty box and converted the chance to make it a seven-goal game. Mason Shaw capped off a three-point night by scoring a goal with 24 seconds remaining, capping off an 8-1 win for the Wild.
Forward Kristian Reichel scored his first AHL goal in his AHL debut.
Dennis Everberg recorded his first point with the Moose.
Attendance was announced at 4,536.
The Moose return home to Bell MTS Place Friday, Oct. 12 for the Home Opener against the Belleville Senators at 7 p.m. CT. The teams clash for a second time the following evening at 6 p.m. CT. Tickets are available at moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2018
- Correction: Iowa Wild Sees Record-Setting Night in 8-1 Rout against Manitoba - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Luke Kunin to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport uses two power-play goals for the second straight night to earn first win of the season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Drop Tight Contest to Sound Tigers, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Penalties Hurt Rocket in 3-1 Loss to Hartford Wolf Pack - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Crushes Moose 8-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Scores Early to Beat Laval - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Details for 25th Home Opener Presented by Upstate University Hospital October 13 - Syracuse Crunch
- Peter Budaj Recalled by Los Angeles - Ontario Reign
- Game Preview: The Stanley Cup Visits Hershey on Washington Capitals Night - Hershey Bears
- RAMPAGE: Butler Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Send Birks, Spinozzi and Brown to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Roadrunners Rally with Explosive Third; Top Gulls 6-4 - Tucson Roadrunners
- 'Cuda Edge Condors 5-1 Behind Korenar's Strong Debut - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Win in OT - Ontario Reign
- Condors Fall to San Jose - Bakersfield Condors
- San Antonio Stuffs Griffins, 4-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hot Start Propels Chicago to 5-1 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Rocket Open Season with Comeback Victory over Bruins - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Win Second Straight at Colorado - Chicago Wolves
- Taylor Picks up Win in Admirals Debut - Milwaukee Admirals
- Foo Records Three-Point Night in Overtime Loss to Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Husso Blanks Griffins on Opening Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Force Overtime with Late Comeback, Fall 4-3 - Texas Stars
- Amerks Fall Short in Rematch with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Celebrate Fifth Season Opener with 6-3 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bellows scores first pro goal in his debut Saturday night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manitoba Moose Stories
- Manitoba Edged by Laval, 2-1
- Moose Edged, 4-3
- Moose Pull away in Third, 4-2
- Moose Announce Full 2020-21 Regular Season Schedule
- Moose Take Down Rocket in OT