Chicago Wolves Win Second Straight at Colorado
LOVELAND, Colorado - Rookie center Reid Duke and Wolves newcomer Gage Quinney scored two goals apiece as the Chicago Wolves rolled to a 5-1 victory over the Colorado Eagles on Saturday night at the Budweiser Events Center.
Quinney and Duke scored during the opening 1:16 to set the tone for the Wolves (2-0-0-0) as they earned their second win in as many nights in Colorado. Max Lagace (1-0-0) posted 24 saves to pick up the win in his season debut.
Quinney opened the scoring when he found open space just outside the crease, where he grabbed the rebound of Zac Leslie's shot from the point and knocked it into an open net.
Just 10 seconds later, Duke picked up a Colorado turnover near the goal line and rifled it past Colorado goaltender Spencer Martin to give the Wolves a 2-0 lead. Matteau pushed the margin to 3-0 at the 11:34 mark of the first when he pounced on a puck in the slot and whistled it into the back of the net.
In the second period, Brandon Pirri led a 3-on-1 attack and set up Duke for a blast that went top-shelf over Martin's blocker at the 6:35 mark.
Quinney added an insurance goal with 6:36 to go as Tomas Hyka skated down the right wing ahead of the pack, waited for Quinney to dive toward the goal and set him up with a perfect pass to make it 5-1.
Martin (0-1-1) stopped 26 shots for the Eagles (0-1-1-0), who made their AHL debut this weekend.
Next up for the Wolves is their 25th home opener at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 13, against the Grand Rapids Griffins at Allstate Arena. All fans receive free parking all season long, courtesy of Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana Kia dealers. To find great deals on tickets, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2018
- Correction: Iowa Wild Sees Record-Setting Night in 8-1 Rout against Manitoba - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Luke Kunin to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport uses two power-play goals for the second straight night to earn first win of the season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Drop Tight Contest to Sound Tigers, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Penalties Hurt Rocket in 3-1 Loss to Hartford Wolf Pack - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Crushes Moose 8-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Scores Early to Beat Laval - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Details for 25th Home Opener Presented by Upstate University Hospital October 13 - Syracuse Crunch
- Peter Budaj Recalled by Los Angeles - Ontario Reign
- Game Preview: The Stanley Cup Visits Hershey on Washington Capitals Night - Hershey Bears
- RAMPAGE: Butler Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Send Birks, Spinozzi and Brown to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Roadrunners Rally with Explosive Third; Top Gulls 6-4 - Tucson Roadrunners
- 'Cuda Edge Condors 5-1 Behind Korenar's Strong Debut - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Win in OT - Ontario Reign
- Condors Fall to San Jose - Bakersfield Condors
- San Antonio Stuffs Griffins, 4-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hot Start Propels Chicago to 5-1 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Rocket Open Season with Comeback Victory over Bruins - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Win Second Straight at Colorado - Chicago Wolves
- Taylor Picks up Win in Admirals Debut - Milwaukee Admirals
- Foo Records Three-Point Night in Overtime Loss to Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Husso Blanks Griffins on Opening Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Force Overtime with Late Comeback, Fall 4-3 - Texas Stars
- Amerks Fall Short in Rematch with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Celebrate Fifth Season Opener with 6-3 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bellows scores first pro goal in his debut Saturday night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories
- Downers Grove Man Wins Chicago Wolves' Sprint Power Play Payday Contest
- Chicago Wolves' 2019-20 Season Canceled
- Chicago Wolves to Relive 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs Run
- Jake Bischoff Earns Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award
- Oscar Dansk Named Chicago Wolves' 2019-20 AHL Man of the Year