Bears Drop Tight Contest to Sound Tigers, 2-1
(Hershey, PA)- The Hershey Bears closed opening weekend on Sunday night with a 2-1 loss to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers at Giant Center. The loss was Hershey's second straight one-goal defeat and dropped the Bears to 0-2 on the new season.
After a scoreless opening frame, Bridgeport cashed in off a 5-on-3 power play. Former Hershey Bear Chris Bourque bombed a center point shot past Bears goaltender Vitek Vanecek at the 6:56 mark in the second period. The goal came in Bourque's first game back in Hershey after signing as a free agent with the Sound Tigers this summer.
Nearly seven minutes later, the Chocolate and White drew even. Mike Sgarbossa walked into the offensive zone on a breakaway following a stretch pass along the right wing. Sgarbossa beat Sound Tigers goaltender Jeremy Smith to even the score at the 13:51 mark. The tally marked Sgarbossa's second goal in as many nights. Shane Gersich and Aaron Ness assisted. Shots after 40 minutes were 18-14 Bridgeport.
For the second straight night, the Bears took a tied hockey game into the third period and fell short by one goal. Only 2:56 into the third period, the Bears allowed their second power play goal against for the second time in as many nights. Steve Bernier beat Vanecek on a bouncing puck from in close for the eventual game-winner.
Shots finished 22-21 Bridgeport, with the Sound Tigers going 2-for-6 on the power play. The Bears were 0-for-4 on the man-advantage for the second straight night. Attendance was 9,209 as the Bears hosted the Stanley Cup on Washington Capitals Night.
The Hershey Bears return to action on Friday for the start of their Midwest road trip. The Bears will face-off against the Grand Rapids Griffins at 7 PM. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch will have the call on the Bears Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2018
- Correction: Iowa Wild Sees Record-Setting Night in 8-1 Rout against Manitoba - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Luke Kunin to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport uses two power-play goals for the second straight night to earn first win of the season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Drop Tight Contest to Sound Tigers, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Penalties Hurt Rocket in 3-1 Loss to Hartford Wolf Pack - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Crushes Moose 8-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Scores Early to Beat Laval - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Details for 25th Home Opener Presented by Upstate University Hospital October 13 - Syracuse Crunch
- Peter Budaj Recalled by Los Angeles - Ontario Reign
- Game Preview: The Stanley Cup Visits Hershey on Washington Capitals Night - Hershey Bears
- RAMPAGE: Butler Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Send Birks, Spinozzi and Brown to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Roadrunners Rally with Explosive Third; Top Gulls 6-4 - Tucson Roadrunners
- 'Cuda Edge Condors 5-1 Behind Korenar's Strong Debut - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Win in OT - Ontario Reign
- Condors Fall to San Jose - Bakersfield Condors
- San Antonio Stuffs Griffins, 4-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hot Start Propels Chicago to 5-1 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Rocket Open Season with Comeback Victory over Bruins - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Win Second Straight at Colorado - Chicago Wolves
- Taylor Picks up Win in Admirals Debut - Milwaukee Admirals
- Foo Records Three-Point Night in Overtime Loss to Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Husso Blanks Griffins on Opening Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Force Overtime with Late Comeback, Fall 4-3 - Texas Stars
- Amerks Fall Short in Rematch with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Celebrate Fifth Season Opener with 6-3 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bellows scores first pro goal in his debut Saturday night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.