'Cuda Edge Condors 5-1 Behind Korenar's Strong Debut
Bakersfield, CA - The San Jose Barracuda (2-0-0-0) used a 37-save AHL debut from Josef Korenar and five different goal scorers to cruise to a 5-1 win over the Bakersfield Condors (1-1-0-0) on Saturday night at Rabobank Arena.
After a scoreless first, the Barracuda broke the deadlock at 4:03 of the second when Jayden Halbgewachs (1) redirected a point-shot from Nick DeSimone through Dylan Wells five-hole. Max Letunov (2) added to San Jose's lead at 11:08 when he jammed in a point-blank rebound again through Wells' five-hole. San Jose completed the three-goal period when Alex True found Cavan Fitzgerald (1) uncovered at the left point and Fitzgerald ripped a shot top-shelf far side at 13:04.
In the third, Korenar stopped Cameron Hebig on a breakaway but Josh Currie (1) potted the rebound to inch Bakersfield within two, but DeSimone (1) would push San Jose back up by three on the power play at 9:51 and then Francis Perron (2) sealed the win at 5:21 as he swiped in his own pass that pinballed off a Condor' defender.
Korenar's (1-0) earned the win in his debut while Wells (0-1) took the loss in his AHL debut.
The Barracuda and Condors face one another again on Wednesday at SAP Center at San Jose (7:00 p.m.) For tickets, head to SJBarracuda.com or visit the Threat Metrix Box Office. You can catch the game live on AHLTV and listen on 1220 AM KDOW.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2018
- Correction: Iowa Wild Sees Record-Setting Night in 8-1 Rout against Manitoba - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Luke Kunin to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport uses two power-play goals for the second straight night to earn first win of the season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Drop Tight Contest to Sound Tigers, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Penalties Hurt Rocket in 3-1 Loss to Hartford Wolf Pack - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Crushes Moose 8-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Scores Early to Beat Laval - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Details for 25th Home Opener Presented by Upstate University Hospital October 13 - Syracuse Crunch
- Peter Budaj Recalled by Los Angeles - Ontario Reign
- Game Preview: The Stanley Cup Visits Hershey on Washington Capitals Night - Hershey Bears
- RAMPAGE: Butler Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Send Birks, Spinozzi and Brown to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Roadrunners Rally with Explosive Third; Top Gulls 6-4 - Tucson Roadrunners
- 'Cuda Edge Condors 5-1 Behind Korenar's Strong Debut - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Win in OT - Ontario Reign
- Condors Fall to San Jose - Bakersfield Condors
- San Antonio Stuffs Griffins, 4-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hot Start Propels Chicago to 5-1 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Rocket Open Season with Comeback Victory over Bruins - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Win Second Straight at Colorado - Chicago Wolves
- Taylor Picks up Win in Admirals Debut - Milwaukee Admirals
- Foo Records Three-Point Night in Overtime Loss to Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Husso Blanks Griffins on Opening Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Force Overtime with Late Comeback, Fall 4-3 - Texas Stars
- Amerks Fall Short in Rematch with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Celebrate Fifth Season Opener with 6-3 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bellows scores first pro goal in his debut Saturday night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.