Taylor Picks up Win in Admirals Debut
Cedar Park, TX - Rocco Grimaldi ensured that Admirals Head Coach Karl Taylor would have a happy ending to his debut as the team's boss, as he scored the game-winner in overtime and added an assist as Milwaukee topped Texas 4-3 on Saturday night.
After Texas has tied the game with just 36 seconds to play in the game, Anthony Richard sprung Grimaldi on a breakaway and he beat Texas goalie Colton Point to give Milwaukee the victory.
Taylor became the sixth of the past seven Admirals coaches to win in his debut, while Brookfield native Troy Grosenick earned the win with 21 saves in net for Milwaukee.
It was the Stars who picked up the first goal of the game on a Dillon Heatherington tally midway through the first period.
Richard would knot the score at one for Milwaukee with just 2:50 to play the opening stanza. Richard took an outlet feed from Grimaldi, split the Texas defense before going backhand past Colton Point for his first goal of the season.
Fellow newcomer Colin Blackwell put the Admirals up 2-1 with a rocket of a one-timer from the top of the left circle at 3:05 of the second period. Alex Carrier picked up the assist on the power-play tally.
Nick Baptiste made it 3-1 Milwaukee at 6:18 of the third period with another breakaway tally. With the puck ping-ponging in the neutral zone, Eeli Tolvanen collected it and chipped a pass to a wide open Baptiste, who beat a Point with a wrister.
However, the Stars would tie the score with goals from Niklas Hansson and Joel L'Esperance to force OT and set up Grimaldi's heroics.
The Admirals will continue on the road with a game Tuesday at San Antonio before beginning their home schedule on Saturday, October 13th at 6 pm against the Hershey Bears at Panther Arena. Fans can purchase tickets for the home opener by calling the Admirals office at (414) 227-0550, online at www.milwaukeeadmirals.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2018
- Correction: Iowa Wild Sees Record-Setting Night in 8-1 Rout against Manitoba - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Luke Kunin to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport uses two power-play goals for the second straight night to earn first win of the season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Drop Tight Contest to Sound Tigers, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Penalties Hurt Rocket in 3-1 Loss to Hartford Wolf Pack - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Crushes Moose 8-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Scores Early to Beat Laval - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Details for 25th Home Opener Presented by Upstate University Hospital October 13 - Syracuse Crunch
- Peter Budaj Recalled by Los Angeles - Ontario Reign
- Game Preview: The Stanley Cup Visits Hershey on Washington Capitals Night - Hershey Bears
- RAMPAGE: Butler Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Send Birks, Spinozzi and Brown to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Roadrunners Rally with Explosive Third; Top Gulls 6-4 - Tucson Roadrunners
- 'Cuda Edge Condors 5-1 Behind Korenar's Strong Debut - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Win in OT - Ontario Reign
- Condors Fall to San Jose - Bakersfield Condors
- San Antonio Stuffs Griffins, 4-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hot Start Propels Chicago to 5-1 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Rocket Open Season with Comeback Victory over Bruins - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Win Second Straight at Colorado - Chicago Wolves
- Taylor Picks up Win in Admirals Debut - Milwaukee Admirals
- Foo Records Three-Point Night in Overtime Loss to Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Husso Blanks Griffins on Opening Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Force Overtime with Late Comeback, Fall 4-3 - Texas Stars
- Amerks Fall Short in Rematch with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Celebrate Fifth Season Opener with 6-3 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bellows scores first pro goal in his debut Saturday night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.