Hot Start Propels Chicago to 5-1 Win over Colorado
LOVELAND, CO. - The Chicago Wolves scored two goals in the first 1:15 of the game, while forwards Reid Duke and Gage Quinney each scored a pair of goals in the Wolves 5-1 victory over the Colorado Eagles at the Budweiser Events Center on Saturday. Chicago goaltender Max Legace claimed the win in net, turning aside 24 of the 25 shots thrown his way. Defenseman Nicolas Meloche scored the Eagles lone goal, while goaltender Spencer Martin suffered the loss, surrendering five goals on 31 shots.
Chicago wasted little time in opening a 1-0 lead, as Quinney would snag a rebound off the end wall and flip the puck into the net to give the Wolves the one-goal advantage just 1:05 into the contest. It would take only 10 more seconds for Chicago to light the lamp for a second time, as a mishandled puck in the slot would be snagged by Duke and snapped into the goal to extend the Wolves lead to 2-0.
Colorado would stage a tremendous penalty kill by fighting off a full, two-minute 5-on-3 power play for Chicago and the subsequent two-minute 5-on-4 man-advantage with less than 10 minutes gone in the game.
Later in the first period, Chicago forward Stefan Matteau would collect a rebound on top of the crease and send a shot past Martin to jump the Wolves lead to 3-0 with 8:26 left to play in the first frame.
Colorado would strike back 25 seconds later, when Meloche fielded a drop pass in the high slot and snapped a wrister past Legace to trim the deficit to 3-1.
A massive collision behind the Chicago net would lead to a five-minute major and game misconduct for charging assessed to Eagles defenseman Sergei Boikov. Colorado would rise to the occasion and kill off the five-minute major power play in its entirety.
The second period would see the Wolves stretch their lead when a turnover at center ice set up Duke to fire a shot from between the circles that would beat Martin upstairs and give Chicago the 4-1 advantage at the 6:35 mark of the middle frame.
The Wolves would add another goal with 6:36 left to play in the third period when Quinney won a goal-mouth scramble and flicked the puck into the net to seal Chicago's 5-1 win.
Colorado went a perfect 9-for-9 on the penalty kill, which included two different 5-on-3 power plays, a five-minute major power play and two separate four-minute, double minor power plays for the Wolves. However, the Eagles were stymied on the man-advantage, finishing the evening 0-for-7. Chicago outshot Colorado 31-25 in the contest.
The Eagles return to action on Friday, October 12th when they travel to the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas to take on the San Antonio Rampage at 6:30pm MT.
Season tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and get you the best seats at the best price for every home game, plus guaranteed playoff tickets! Season tickets start at just $17 per seat per game, become part of the team and reserve your seats today by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2018
- Correction: Iowa Wild Sees Record-Setting Night in 8-1 Rout against Manitoba - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Luke Kunin to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport uses two power-play goals for the second straight night to earn first win of the season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Drop Tight Contest to Sound Tigers, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Penalties Hurt Rocket in 3-1 Loss to Hartford Wolf Pack - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Crushes Moose 8-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Scores Early to Beat Laval - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Details for 25th Home Opener Presented by Upstate University Hospital October 13 - Syracuse Crunch
- Peter Budaj Recalled by Los Angeles - Ontario Reign
- Game Preview: The Stanley Cup Visits Hershey on Washington Capitals Night - Hershey Bears
- RAMPAGE: Butler Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Send Birks, Spinozzi and Brown to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Roadrunners Rally with Explosive Third; Top Gulls 6-4 - Tucson Roadrunners
- 'Cuda Edge Condors 5-1 Behind Korenar's Strong Debut - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Win in OT - Ontario Reign
- Condors Fall to San Jose - Bakersfield Condors
- San Antonio Stuffs Griffins, 4-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hot Start Propels Chicago to 5-1 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Rocket Open Season with Comeback Victory over Bruins - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Win Second Straight at Colorado - Chicago Wolves
- Taylor Picks up Win in Admirals Debut - Milwaukee Admirals
- Foo Records Three-Point Night in Overtime Loss to Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Husso Blanks Griffins on Opening Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Force Overtime with Late Comeback, Fall 4-3 - Texas Stars
- Amerks Fall Short in Rematch with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Celebrate Fifth Season Opener with 6-3 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bellows scores first pro goal in his debut Saturday night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Graves Recalled by Avalanche, Lindholm Returns to Eagles
- Martin Dazzles in 2-1 Shootout Win at Stockton
- Lindholm, Toninato Head to Avalanche, Eagles Recall Dickinson
- Hill's 21-Save Shutout Vaults Tucson to 2-0 Win over Eagles
- Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson