Husso Blanks Griffins on Opening Night
SAN ANTONIO - Ville Husso stopped all 28 shots he faced and four different Rampage players found the back of the net as the San Antonio Rampage (1-0-0) skated to a 4-0 shutout victory over the Grand Rapids Griffins (0-2-0) on Opening Night in front of 7,386 fans at the AT&T Center.
Trevor Smith, Joey LaLeggia, and Ryan Olsen netted their first goals as members of the Rampage, with Adam Musil scoring as well.
The Rampage netted their first goal of the season at 16:12 of the first period when a Griffins miscue snuck through goaltender Harri Sateri. After the Rampage had dumped the puck into the Griffins zone, defenseman Jake Chelios whipped the puck in front of his own net and banked it off of teammate Wade Megan's skate and into the goal. Smith was ruled the last player to touch the puck and awarded his first goal of the season.
At 11:06 of the second period, LaLeggia ripped a one-time shot off a Jake Walman feed past Sateri for a power play goal to make it 2-0 Rampage. At 1:40 of the third period, Conner Bleackley drove to the net from the left wing for a jam attempt at the side of the goal. Sateri made the initial save, but Musil stuffed the loose puck in to give the Rampage a 3-0 lead.
Olsen capped the scoring with his first goal with the Rampage, intercepting a Trevor Hamilton clearing attempt and waltzing to the front of the net for a backhander past Sateri.
Husso's shutout performance was the sixth of his career, after posting four with the Rampage last season.
The Rampage victory snapped an eight-game winless drought against the Griffins extending back to February 15, 2017. They have won their home-opener in four of the past five seasons.
The victory was the first AHL coaching victory for Head Coach Drew Bannister in his debut.
The Rampage continue their season-opening home stand on Tuesday night when they welcome the Milwaukee Admirals to the AT&T Center, with puck drop scheduled for 7 p.m. The game can be heard on The Ticket 760AM or viewed on AHLTV.
To purchase season tickets for the 2018-19 San Antonio Rampage campaign, contact a Rampage sales representative at 210-444-5554 or buy online at SARampage.com. The 2018-19 season is presented by H-E-B and Wells Fargo.
Goals: Smith (1), LaLeggia (1), Musil (1), Olsen (1)
Ville Husso: 28 saves on 28 shots
Power Play: 1-for-4
Penalty Kill: 4-for-4
Ville Husso - San Antonio
Mackenzie MacEachern - San Antonio
Joey LaLeggia - San Antonio
Images from this story
The San Antonio Rampage bench congratulates Joey LaLeggia
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2018
- Correction: Iowa Wild Sees Record-Setting Night in 8-1 Rout against Manitoba - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Luke Kunin to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport uses two power-play goals for the second straight night to earn first win of the season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Drop Tight Contest to Sound Tigers, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Penalties Hurt Rocket in 3-1 Loss to Hartford Wolf Pack - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Crushes Moose 8-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Scores Early to Beat Laval - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Details for 25th Home Opener Presented by Upstate University Hospital October 13 - Syracuse Crunch
- Peter Budaj Recalled by Los Angeles - Ontario Reign
- Game Preview: The Stanley Cup Visits Hershey on Washington Capitals Night - Hershey Bears
- RAMPAGE: Butler Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Send Birks, Spinozzi and Brown to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Roadrunners Rally with Explosive Third; Top Gulls 6-4 - Tucson Roadrunners
- 'Cuda Edge Condors 5-1 Behind Korenar's Strong Debut - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Win in OT - Ontario Reign
- Condors Fall to San Jose - Bakersfield Condors
- San Antonio Stuffs Griffins, 4-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hot Start Propels Chicago to 5-1 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Rocket Open Season with Comeback Victory over Bruins - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Win Second Straight at Colorado - Chicago Wolves
- Taylor Picks up Win in Admirals Debut - Milwaukee Admirals
- Foo Records Three-Point Night in Overtime Loss to Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Husso Blanks Griffins on Opening Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Force Overtime with Late Comeback, Fall 4-3 - Texas Stars
- Amerks Fall Short in Rematch with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Celebrate Fifth Season Opener with 6-3 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bellows scores first pro goal in his debut Saturday night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.