I-Cubs Take Series in Memphis
MEMPHIS, TN - The Iowa Cubs (24-11) wrapped their road trip with a 7-1 record as they sunk the Memphis Redbirds (18-17) 7-4, Friday at AutoZone Park. It was the first series win for the I-Cubs in Memphis since 2014.
A Phillip Evans three-run blast set the tone for the game as the I-Cubs never trailed in the contest. A base hit from Johnny Field, followed by a Robel Garcia double set up the three-run effort for Evans.
Iowa more than doubled its lead in the third, sparked by a Dixon Machado leadoff walk. Garcia, playing in his second Triple-A contest, roped a double and Evans cashed in again with an RBI single. The I-Cubs rallied with two outs as Ian Rice singled in the second run of the frame, before Jacob Hannemann doubled in a pair to put Iowa ahead 7-0.
Matt Swarmer (W, 4-3) spun a quality start, allowing three earned runs on five hits through 6.0 frames. The righty held Memphis to one hit through 5.0 innings before the Redbirds were able to break the shutout with a three-run sixth.
An error by Trent Giambrone allowed the Redbirds to shrink the gap with a run in the eighth, but Iowa's bullpen held on. Matt Carasiti (1.1 IP) and James Norwood (1.2 IP) carried the I-Cubs through the end of the contest as Norwood claimed his third save of the season.
- Adding his quality start tonight, Matt Swarmer holds a 2.73 ERA (7ER/23.0IP) through his last four starts.
- In his second career Triple-A game, Robel Garcia went 3-for-5 with two runs scored.
- Phillip Evans (2-for-4, HR) drove in four of Iowa's seven runs.
Iowa returns to Principal Park with a 7:08 p.m. first pitch tomorrow against Omaha. Promotions include Pre-Game Catch on the Field, Bike to the Ballpark and an Opportunity on Deck Replay equipment drive. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 10, 2019
- I-Cubs Take Series in Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers and Sounds Suspended Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds and Dodgers Suspend Game Due to Rain - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies Offer Permanent Military Discount on Single-Game Tickets - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (12-22) vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers (11-22) - Nashville Sounds
- Major League Baseball, Minor League Baseball & Major League Baseball Players Association Make Joint $50,000 Donation to Team Rubicon - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (18-16) vs Iowa Cubs (23-11) - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Express Kick off 13-Game Homestand on Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Super Saturday, Mother's Day Headline Weekend at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 10, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Fall in Rain Shortened Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats Finish up 12-Game Homestand with a Packed Weekend - Sacramento River Cats
- Mateo, Joseph Lead Aviators to Rain-Shortened Victory over Bees - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Throttle Aces to Win Second-Straight on Star Wars Night - Tacoma Rainiers
- Capping a Momentous Week - San Antonio Missions
- Hernandez, Grizzlies slam past River Cats 7-4 in 10 innings for fourth straight victory - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats done in by extra inning home run - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Bully Reno, 10-2 - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Just Shy in Wild, 11-Inning Affair - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Rides Past Omaha 8-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Topple Chasers 9-7 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Win Extra-Inning Thriller - Iowa Cubs
- Naylor Fuels Chihuahuas' Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- McGee, Rusin Rehab with Isotopes as El Paso Wins 5-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Outshine Storm Chasers in 8-6 Win - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.