I-Cubs Win Extra-Inning Thriller
MEMPHIS, TN - The Iowa Cubs (23-11) rallied for four runs in the 11th inning to capture a 9-8 win over the Memphis Redbirds (18-16), Thursday at AutoZone Park.
A 4-4 tie pushed the game to the 10th - Iowa's first extra-inning action of the season. Starting the inning with Robel Garcia on second, Phillip Evans moved the runner with a ground out. Memphis intentionally walked Jim Adduci to bring up the pitcher's spot in the order as Iowa cornered the situation. With Johnny Field pinch-hitting, Jesus Cruz was called for a balk and the go-ahead run was pushed in.
Memphis tied it in the bottom of the 10th to keep the action going, but a Wynton Bernard RBI single in the 11th put Iowa back on top. Garcia knocked in two more and Ian Happ added an RBI single of his own as Iowa nearly doubled its score with a four-run frame.
Iowa would need all of the insurance as Memphis came back with three runs in the home half of the inning, capped by a Joe Hudson home run. The I-Cubs hung on to take the one-run victory.
The I-Cubs opened the scoring as Adduci and Donnie Dewees push Iowa to a 4-0 edge with a pair of two-run homers in the second and fifth innings, respectively.
Duane Underwood Jr. was perfect through 3.2 innings, but the righty lost the shutout in the fifth as his command wavered. One swing of the bat changed the scope of the game as Ravelo homered off Underwood in the sixth to tie the game at fours and eventually force extras. A walk and an error earlier in the frame set up the three-run blast.
Underwood Jr.'s night ended after 5.2 frames. The righty allowed three hits, four runs -- only one earned run -- walked three and struck out six. Tim Collins (1-0) allowed one unearned run in the 10th and captured the win.
- Dixon Machado went 2-for-3 with two runs and two walks.
- Xavier Cedeño (1.0 IP, H, K) made his third rehab appearance for Iowa.
- In his Triple-A debut, Robel Garcia went 1-for-5 with one run, two RBI, one walk and two strikeouts.
- Donnie Dewees extended his hitting streak to 14 games with his fifth-inning homer.
Iowa and Memphis finish the series at AutoZone Park tomorrow at 7:05 p.m. The I-Cubs then return to Principal Park for 10 games beginning Saturday, May 11. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 10, 2019
- I-Cubs Take Series in Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers and Sounds Suspended Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds and Dodgers Suspend Game Due to Rain - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies Offer Permanent Military Discount on Single-Game Tickets - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (12-22) vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers (11-22) - Nashville Sounds
- Major League Baseball, Minor League Baseball & Major League Baseball Players Association Make Joint $50,000 Donation to Team Rubicon - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (18-16) vs Iowa Cubs (23-11) - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Express Kick off 13-Game Homestand on Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Super Saturday, Mother's Day Headline Weekend at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 10, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Fall in Rain Shortened Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats Finish up 12-Game Homestand with a Packed Weekend - Sacramento River Cats
- Mateo, Joseph Lead Aviators to Rain-Shortened Victory over Bees - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Throttle Aces to Win Second-Straight on Star Wars Night - Tacoma Rainiers
- Capping a Momentous Week - San Antonio Missions
- Hernandez, Grizzlies slam past River Cats 7-4 in 10 innings for fourth straight victory - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats done in by extra inning home run - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Bully Reno, 10-2 - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Just Shy in Wild, 11-Inning Affair - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Rides Past Omaha 8-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Topple Chasers 9-7 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Win Extra-Inning Thriller - Iowa Cubs
- Naylor Fuels Chihuahuas' Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- McGee, Rusin Rehab with Isotopes as El Paso Wins 5-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Outshine Storm Chasers in 8-6 Win - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.