Hernandez, Grizzlies slam past River Cats 7-4 in 10 innings for fourth straight victory
West Sacramento, Calif. (Thursday, May 9) - It took extras to do it, but the Fresno Grizzlies (18-16) continued their winning ways, outlasting the Sacramento River Cats (16-18) 7-4 in 10 innings. Since the beginning of the 2015 season, Fresno is now 45-22 against Sacramento, and 28-7 on the road at Raley Field. The Grizzlies also won their fourth straight contest, tying a season-high. They look for their first sweep of the year tomorrow evening.
Yadiel Hernandez and Carter Kieboom highlighted the Fresno offense as each player recorded home runs. Hernandez walloped a grand slam (his 11th) in the sixth inning, his first as a professional player. It was also his first four-RBI game of the season. While Kieboom tallied his in the top of the 10th, the eventual game-winner. He has four big flies in a Grizzlies' uniform.
Despite trailing 4-0 in the sixth, the River Cats clawed away at the deficit. Mike Gerber raked a two-run double in the bottom half of the sixth. Then in the next frame, pinch-hitter Mike Yastrzemski nailed a tying-shot over the right-center wall. This would send the game to extras, but Sacramento couldn't hold Fresno off.
Dakota Bacus (3-0) received the decision after two innings of solid work. His strikeout of Gio Brusa with a runner at third in the ninth was beneficial in the Grizzlies' victory. Fernando Abad (0-1) suffered the loss and Tanner Rainey converted his second save of the year.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- LF Yadiel Hernandez (2-4, HR, 4 RBI, R)
- SS Carter Kieboom (1-4, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R, BB)
- 2B Jacob Wilson (1-4, 2B, 2 R, BB)
Top Performers: Sacramento River Cats (San Francisco Giants)
- PH/CF Mike Yastrzemski (1-2, HR, 2 RBI, R)
- CF Mike Gerber (1-4, 2B, 2 RBI)
- RF Henry Ramos (3-5, 2B, R)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Friday May 10 Sacramento River Cats (Road) RHP Mario Sanchez (Fresno) vs. LHP Ty Blach (Sacramento) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Jacob Wilson now owns the Grizzlies' current team-high hit streak at seven games. In that span, he is 13-for-28 with seven extra-base hits, eight RBI, six runs and seven walks. He is tied for the team-high in homers with 11 (Yadiel Hernandez).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 10, 2019
- I-Cubs Take Series in Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers and Sounds Suspended Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds and Dodgers Suspend Game Due to Rain - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies Offer Permanent Military Discount on Single-Game Tickets - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (12-22) vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers (11-22) - Nashville Sounds
- Major League Baseball, Minor League Baseball & Major League Baseball Players Association Make Joint $50,000 Donation to Team Rubicon - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (18-16) vs Iowa Cubs (23-11) - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Express Kick off 13-Game Homestand on Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Super Saturday, Mother's Day Headline Weekend at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 10, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Fall in Rain Shortened Contest - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats Finish up 12-Game Homestand with a Packed Weekend - Sacramento River Cats
- Mateo, Joseph Lead Aviators to Rain-Shortened Victory over Bees - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Throttle Aces to Win Second-Straight on Star Wars Night - Tacoma Rainiers
- Capping a Momentous Week - San Antonio Missions
- Hernandez, Grizzlies slam past River Cats 7-4 in 10 innings for fourth straight victory - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats done in by extra inning home run - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Bully Reno, 10-2 - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Just Shy in Wild, 11-Inning Affair - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Rides Past Omaha 8-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Topple Chasers 9-7 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Win Extra-Inning Thriller - Iowa Cubs
- Naylor Fuels Chihuahuas' Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- McGee, Rusin Rehab with Isotopes as El Paso Wins 5-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Outshine Storm Chasers in 8-6 Win - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.