Grizzlies say goodbye to NOLA with 6-4 loss to 'Cakes
Metairie, Louisiana - The Fresno Grizzlies (29-31) dropped the rubber match to the New Orleans Baby Cakes (34-27) 6-4 from Shrine on Airline. Two former Grizzlies in catcher Tyler Heineman and pitcher Mike Kickham went deep in the win. Heineman clobbered a two-run clout in the second inning while Kickham's solo shot tied the contest in the seventh. Kickham saw 12 pitches in the at-bat before yanking his second career dinger to right field. Yadiel Rivera added three hits and two runs for the Baby Cakes.
A four-run fifth inning highlighted the Grizzlies offense. Alec Keller spanked a single to left, notching Jake Noll. Then, Carter Kieboom walked with the bases-loaded. Finally, Yadiel Hernandez drove in a pair with a single to right. Both Keller and Hernandez enjoyed two hit affairs.
Fernando Rodney (0-1) suffered the decision after a rough eighth frame. Kickham (3-1) tallied the win after three shutout innings. He struck out five on two hits and a walk to go along with his tater. R.J. Alvarez quickly recorded his eighth save with a 1-2-3 ninth frame. Fresno finishes 49-51 all-time against New Orleans with a 20-32 road record.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- RF Yadiel Hernandez (2-3, 2 RBI, BB)
- LF Alec Keller (2-3, RBI, R)
- RHP Scott Copeland (2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K)
Top Performers: New Orleans Baby Cakes (Miami Marlins)
- LHP Mike Kickham (3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K; 1-1, HR, RBI, R)
- C Tyler Heineman (1-4, HR, 2 RBI, R)
- LF Yadiel Rivera (3-4, 2 R, 2 SB)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Friday June 7 Oklahoma City Dodgers (Away) RHP Austin Voth (Fresno) vs. RHP Dennis Santana (Oklahoma City) 5:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Thursday evening was Fresno's 100th and final game against New Orleans, who will relocate from Louisiana to Wichita, Kansas for the 2020 season; Fresno went 49-51 all-time against the Zephyrs/Baby Cakes (20-32 road, 29-19 home).
There have been four former Grizzlies to homer against Fresno this season. Andrew Aplin of Reno, Jarrett Parker of Salt Lake, Mike Kickham of New Orleans and Tyler Heineman of New Orleans are the recipients of the feat. Kickham and Heineman both went deep Thursday night for the Baby Cakes.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 6, 2019
- Storm Chasers Complete Sweep of Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Urias Leads Chihuahuas Win, Series Sweep - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Kickham's Clout Spurs 'Cakes to Victory - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Grizzlies say goodbye to NOLA with 6-4 loss to 'Cakes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Bees Avoid Series Sweep - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (22-37) at Reno Aces (25-34) - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Salvage Finale against Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Nashville - Reno Aces
- Live the Suite Life at Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (24-36) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-30) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 6, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Salt Lake Bees - San Antonio Missions
- "Runza Night" to be Featured as ESPN's Minor League Promotion of the Week - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Rolls to 11-5 Victory over Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
- Express Steamroll Aviators in 11-5 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Aces Win Rare Pitchers' Duel at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Sounds Drop Second Straight to Aces - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Blank Bees - San Antonio Missions
- Missions Shutout Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Snap Losing Streak in Game Two against Memphis - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Toppled by Tacoma, 10-4 - Memphis Redbirds
- Blewett, Chasers Topple Isotopes 5-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Grizzlies Get Green Light From Fresno County Department of Public Health
- Taco Truck Throwdown to Return October 23
- Fresno Grizzlies Officially Announce 10-Year Partnership with Colorado Rockies
- Colorado Rockies Announce Grizzlies 2021 Minor League Staff
- Grizzlies Accept Invite to Become Rockies Affiliate